What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Protecting certain apps with a password

Tobiaspl

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I've been playing with my iPad for almost a week now. Just yesterday I set up my mail with Exchange so I'm able to check my work e-mail anywhere, anytime.

The only downside is that I can't find the option to protect my e-mail adresses with passwords. It automatically logs in and updates the e-mails. I have found the option to put a password on my iPad for when it starts up.

I hope there is a way to protect my mail and some other apps (twitter?) with passwords.

Thanks in advance.

iPadCharlie

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Apparently Apple considers the iPad to be a "personal" mobile device, meaning that it is not something they expect to be shared, so the answer is no, there is no way (as far as I know) to set it so you have to enter your email password every time. About the only "work around" for this would be to temporarily de-activate your account in Settings so that someone could not accidentally get into your email.

ipad44.jpg

Oddly enough, one of the biggest complaints we get here is from people asking why The App Store or iTunes always asks for your password every time you purchase something. Of course this is a security measure that is there so someone can not accidentally make purchases and charge them to your account.

I agree on both counts that there probably should be an option to ask or not ask for a password.

OP
T

Tobiaspl

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Apparently Apple considers the iPad to be a "personal" mobile device, meaning that it is not something they expect to be shared, so the answer is no, there is no way (as far as I know) to set it so you have to enter your email password every time. About the only "work around" for this would be to temporarily de-activate your account in Settings so that someone could not accidentally get into your email.

ipad44.jpg

Oddly enough, one of the biggest complaints we get here is from people asking why The App Store or iTunes always asks for your password every time you purchase something. Of course this is a security measure that is there so someone can not accidentally make purchases and charge them to your account.

I agree on both counts that there probably should be an option to ask or not ask for a password.

Thanks for this great reply! I agree that there should be an option (or an app) to make it possible to protect some of the apps with a password.

Tweety

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Password

Hey guys i do the above aswell and then what I do is go into General settings and click on restrictions, type your preferred password and disable 'accounts' so even if the person using the iPad goes it settings to try to turn the mail on it's shaded out and u can't access it unless you have the restrictions password to enable it :)

Kezug

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hey guys i do the above aswell and then what I do is go into General settings and click on restrictions, type your preferred password and disable 'accounts' so even if the person using the iPad goes it settings to try to turn the mail on it's shaded out and u can't access it unless you have the restrictions password to enable it :)

But this only works for some apps and if you remember to do that! What if I have an app I absolutely want to restrict to only myself?

Most reactions