What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Project iOSx2 Discussion

pEAcEmAKeR

iPF Noob
Reaction score
iOSx2 is a project that allows you to dual boot multiple versions of iOS. Dual booting was done several years back, and I brought it back to second generation devices.

During installation, you have to create a partition, copy the raw disk over to it, then restore to it. After that, the iPhone/iPod will be confused, as it cannot boot two softwares with one kernelcache. You will have to send the kernelcache via a jailbreak program or iRecovery. Then, send the commands needed to boot into the third partition, and set permissions to make them bootable. I am telling you this because I do not want to be called a troll.

Some people ask why dualbooting is helpful. Well, how many users out there downgrade every week just to try out a cool new tweak, or download an app, or an animated theme? This is to help simplify that. For developers, it's a handy tool that'll let them test there apps on different firmwares more quickly and swiftly! Plus, it's a cool way to impress your friends. :)

"Hey, dude, look! I've got ANDROID on my iPhone!"
"Pssht. Noob. And I've got two iOSs."
*jaw drops*

Currently, it is based on sl8900x, meaning it only works on the iPhone 3G, iPod touch 2G [being an exception] (my ports), and (many years back from developers) the 1st generation iDevices. We are working on bringing this to other iDevices with the testers and members I've collected. So far, we are testing on the iPhone 4, the iPod touch 3G, and the iPad 1G. If you would like to test, please feel free to contact me via email: [email protected]. Or PM me. Just understand that we cannot test on iPod 4G, because many needed commands were taken from iBSS in Recovery Mode protocal x1283. Without those commands, you wouldn't be able to boot into the new partition after restoring.

I am posting this here because our project is working on bringing this cool hack to the iPad and iPad 2. A handful is working on the iPad 2 (including me) while there is one other person working on the iPad 1st generation. It'd be great if we had some more willing and experienced testers for the iPad 1G though!

If you would like to help with development, contact me and you can join our organization on Github. https://github.com/organizations/ProjectiOSx2. We are working on making an automated installation app similar to Bootlace. We are also making a custom OpeniBoot to replace the need for dual booting with Apple's iBoot.

Screen_Shot_2011-07-08_at_9.53.59_AM.png

Some quick links:
Forum
Installation instructions
Repartitioning Tutorial
Twitter
App GUI Preview

All (hopefully good) feedback is appreciated! :D And let me take a moment to say what a nice forum you have here! I will be staying here for a while! ;)

f4780y

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Sounds like a great project to be working on.

Happy to assist where I can, and have both flavours of iPad, so feel free to hit me up on PM if I can be of use.

OP
pEAcEmAKeR

pEAcEmAKeR

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks, that really means a lot to me!

OP
pEAcEmAKeR

pEAcEmAKeR

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Probably not, unless you want to plug your iPad in the computer each time you want to boot into the other OS. Both iOS versions need to be jailbroken in order to boot wirelessly via MobileTerminal. But, as stated, it always is an option if you are desperate. ;)

graywolf

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I am interested! Don't have a Mac though. Incase that's required for some things.
Anyways, would love to help!

Edit:
Now that I was purusing the install instructions, besides ifile, irecovery, and mobile terminal I have no idea what all the other jargon is. :)
But I am willing to learn!

Last edited:
OP
pEAcEmAKeR

pEAcEmAKeR

iPF Noob
Reaction score
graywolf said:
I am interested! Don't have a Mac though. Incase that's required for some things.
Anyways, would love to help!

Edit:
Now that I was purusing the install instructions, besides ifile, irecovery, and mobile terminal I have no idea what all the other jargon is. :)
But I am willing to learn!

Nah, using an old Windows XP is fine too.
And all the other jargon is fdisk (format disk). It's for creating partitions.

P.S. I never heard from you f4780y. I sent you a PM. Did you see it?

OP
pEAcEmAKeR

pEAcEmAKeR

iPF Noob
Reaction score
It's official! F4780y is now part of the iOSx2 team! He'll be testing for the iPad 1G!! :)
AND I just figured out that his name spells Fatboy! I'm so smart! :D

graywolf

iPF Noob
Reaction score
So, you think I could handle it?
Like I said, I am more than willing to do it. I got the whole week free.

OP
pEAcEmAKeR

pEAcEmAKeR

iPF Noob
Reaction score
graywolf said:
So, you think I could handle it?
Like I said, I am more than willing to do it. I got the whole week free.

PM me, I have to ask you a few questions like I asked f4780y. Also, did you read and understand the repartitioning tutorial?

OP
pEAcEmAKeR

pEAcEmAKeR

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Okay. Right now, I'm kind of flooded, but I'll surely let you know when I have a chance.

Most reactions

Latest posts