Program to improve the Camara?

Discussion in 'iPad 2 Forum' started by Futurebird, Mar 18, 2011.

1. Futurebird

Futurebird iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I know it's possible to take a sequence of video stills and produce a high-resolution image from them. I would like and app that does this for my iPad 2. The back camara is designed for taking youtube videos, but I mostly need still photos. I need higher resolution, and some image processing that improves the color balance and crispness of the images. (For example, I use OCR a lot, it works well if the resolution is high enough, I also use still images to catalog my knitting projects)

Are there any iphone apps (or ipod touch apps) that use this kind of technology to improve the quality of stills?

I hope such an app designed for the iPad comes out soon! Maybe me and some of my friends should try writing it! (though I was hoping to do something less challenging for my first app...)
  2. sjleworthy

sjleworthy Super Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +57 / 0
  3. Futurebird

Futurebird iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Yes you can, but it requires multiple stills. If you are photographing something that doesn't move you can use the data from several bad images to make a slightly better one. I worked on developing this kind of technology in college though I don't know where the industry is today. (Since that was 10 years ago, my expectations are pretty high...)
  4. Futurebird

Futurebird iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0

Attached Files:

5. sjleworthy

sjleworthy Super Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +57 / 0
    No, you cant. Believe me.

To predice a hi-res still from a series pf crappy ones is not a practise undertaken in the visualisation industry. As for iphone/pad apps? I couldnt say. 3 crappy phots are 3 crappy phots, even when shot on a tripod. All due respect, i suspect 10 years out of the industry is a long time. Sorry about the above app recommendation.
    Last edited: Mar 18, 2011
  6. Futurebird

Futurebird iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I found and app that does it on the iphone it's called ClearCam it ha two functions:

1. take a series of photos and choose the stillest one based on the accelerometer

2. take a series of photos and process them in to an enhanced photo.

I downloaded it and the improvement is still minimal. But the concept is there:
    Internet's Best Secrets: Super Resolution 4Mp Photos on the iPhone

Since this has been around since 2005, I'm shocked it ha not developed more... though it's used in Video quite often...

Super-resolution - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
  7. Demandarin

Demandarin iPad Addict

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +22 / 0
    I have a whole arsenal of high quality photapps for my iPad. U could try out Filterstorm, photo gene, or photo studio hd. They don't do like what ur looking for BUT u can turn some bad photos into some really nice looking ones with the editing, filters, and tools they have on the app. Just a thought. Some other good photo apps are photo fx ultra and photo pad(which I think is just the free version of photo gene...can't remember). Either way they can do wonders for cleaning up ur photos and adding different filters or fx if u choose. ;-)