What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Productivity iPad vs Asus transformer

Sargon

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I was also in the choice dilemma but after doing the research on the airstash and the goflex wifi I concluded that the iPad is the better of the two choices. Then there are the apps - iPad just has so much more to choose from. Just got a new iPad and am now learning how to make it do what I want.

renevanderglas

iPF Noob
Reaction score
no1up said:
To be clear, this is not a hate thread this is to weigh cons and pros, strictly in regard to productivity. A lot of android users never used iOS pages, or Apple users never used the keyboard dock.

I in particular want to know if someone here has used iOS pages and now use android, did you ever find something as good as pages?

I have the iPad 3, but really looking at the $370 transformer with the dock $150

Im just not sure how the resolution would pan out now that my eyes have been used to the iPad display...

I have a galaxy note but can't really compare the two..

Hello.

First of all i have to say That the iPad 3 has THE highest res u can get om this moment..i had transformer Before and have iPad 2 now and transformer cant get even close to THE resolution it has on iPad 2 ,on iPad 2 numbers is really Nice and fast on THE transformer u have polaris office but when it comes to scrolling down with a full sheet it goes very laggy and choppy,

Good Luck

seneca18

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hello.

First of all i have to say That the iPad 3 has THE highest res u can get om this moment..i had transformer Before and have iPad 2 now and transformer cant get even close to THE resolution it has on iPad 2 ,on iPad 2 numbers is really Nice and fast on THE transformer u have polaris office but when it comes to scrolling down with a full sheet it goes very laggy and choppy,

Good Luck

The transformer prime does have a better screen resolution than the iPad 2.

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
seneca18 said:
The transformer prime does have a better screen resolution than the iPad 2.

Yes, it indeed does. Most all 10.1 inch Android tablets do. But nothing is on tap to beat the iPad 3, AFAIK.

seneca18

iPF Noob
Reaction score
THE prime does indeed ,but he didnt mention the prime..

Sorry I just assumed he was talking about the prime since that is where the conversation was. To be fair though the original TF does have a slightly higher screen resolution that the iPad 2. Nothing will top the new iPad though, like AQ_OC said.

andrzejls

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Yes, it indeed does. Most all 10.1 inch Android tablets do. But nothing is on tap to beat the iPad 3, AFAIK.
Yes, iPad3 has the best resolution but where are the apps written for that resolution?. If you do not have apps, the resolution is useless.

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
andrzejls said:
Yes, iPad3 has the best resolution but where are the apps written for that resolution?. If you do not have apps, the resolution is useless.

Do you have a three? Most apps benefit automatically because they are text based. And almost all of my other apps support the retina display. If you had the device, you would certainly not respond as you have because it would be obvious.

milkmilklemonade

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The only thing better on the iPad is apps

Don't forget screen, stylus response, non existence of iTunes university on android, better casing and build quality on iPad, third party accessories, iTunes offering more app sales/free, ..

Hm, that's off the top of my head. I've owned tf101, tf201, Xoom and galaxy tab 10

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

eep02b

iPF Noob
Reaction score
milkmilklemonade said:
Don't forget screen, stylus response, non existence of iTunes university on android, better casing and build quality on iPad, third party accessories, iTunes offering more app sales/free, ..

Hm, that's off the top of my head. I've owned tf101, tf201, Xoom and galaxy tab 10

Screen- only if you compare the iPad 3 to all of the sd android screens. Compare it when the hd screen transformer prime drops. Then we'll talk. Until then, you're talking apples to oranges.
Stylus response- come on. Do I really need to go there?? I mean why do you need a stylus. This is made to be touched. And this only counts if you are using the same exact stylus on an android tablet and an iPad. I've done both and there is no difference.
iTunes university- you're right. There is no iTunes university. There is not even any iTunes. In fact, it doesnt need iTunes at all. Not to transfer music, files, movies, or any of that. Matter of fact, you can use multiple music programs for music with a lot better eq programs than are available on the iPad (poweramp, double twist, google music)
Better casing- this is also a matter of opinion. I've used the Samsung galaxy tab, and that is one extremely well built tablet.
Accessories- you are absolutely right here. I'm not even going to argue with you. It's sad really. Lol
iTunes apps/sale free- I agree and disagree at the same time. What I've seen is that most free apps aren't really free on the iPad. Most that are free actually have an in app purchase to unlock features. For instance, google voice apps, they are free, but need a 1.99 in app purchase to unlock text message functionality, or video calling functionality. Or Craigslist apps need a .99 in app purchase to give you push notifications, and to save searches. Android doesn't trick u much with this. Either it's free, or it's not. And you forget about the amazon AppStore that has free apps daily.

I say all of this to say the iPad is not hands down the best tablet. Neither is android. Both have flaws.

milkmilklemonade

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Screen- only if you compare the iPad 3 to all of the sd android screens. Compare it when the hd screen transformer prime drops. Then we'll talk. Until then, you're talking apples to oranges.
Stylus response- come on. Do I really need to go there?? I mean why do you need a stylus. This is made to be touched. And this only counts if you are using the same exact stylus on an android tablet and an iPad. I've done both and there is no difference.
iTunes university- you're right. There is no iTunes university. There is not even any iTunes. In fact, it doesnt need iTunes at all. Not to transfer music, files, movies, or any of that. Matter of fact, you can use multiple music programs for music with a lot better eq programs than are available on the iPad (poweramp, double twist, google music)
Better casing- this is also a matter of opinion. I've used the Samsung galaxy tab, and that is one extremely well built tablet.
Accessories- you are absolutely right here. I'm not even going to argue with you. It's sad really. Lol
iTunes apps/sale free- I agree and disagree at the same time. What I've seen is that most free apps aren't really free on the iPad. Most that are free actually have an in app purchase to unlock features. For instance, google voice apps, they are free, but need a 1.99 in app purchase to unlock text message functionality, or video calling functionality. Or Craigslist apps need a .99 in app purchase to give you push notifications, and to save searches. Android doesn't trick u much with this. Either it's free, or it's not. And you forget about the amazon AppStore that has free apps daily.

I say all of this to say the iPad is not hands down the best tablet. Neither is android. Both have flaws.

The Infinity isn't out yet. The New iPad is. Why WOULDN'T you compare what's currently available from Apple, to what's currently available to Android?

Stylus - Do you happen to use tablets for school? I do - I've used the TF101, TF201, and new iPad. The keyboard is woefully inadequate once your instructor starts drawing diagrams on the board. Hence why you need a stylus.

If you've actually compared Stylus response on both devices like you claim, you would of noticed a significant different in the fluidity & response on the iPad vs the Asus mentioned above (actually Xoom, and GT Tab 10 as well, since I owned those too and tested them as well). The iPad has become a "binder" replacer, and taking quick notes during lecture/drawing reactions, anatomical structures etc is as smooth as paper. Not so much on Android..

iOS doesn't require iTunes either - updates are done OTA and I transfer all my music via dropbox etc. I don't even have iTunes installed..

As someone who owns the Galaxy Tab 10 - do you notice how plasticky and fragile it feels? It's definitely lighter than the iPad, and thinner but...as someone who's dropped both the Galaxy Tab and (new) iPad - guess which one survived, ?

In app purchases are stated on the iTunes store, but you're not understanding what I'm talking about.

Know amazons "free app of the day?". iTunes does similar, but it's on steroids as many more apps are reduced or free. I have three hundred amazon apps downloaded from the free apps a day, and less from iTunes, but I'm generally much more excited about the iTunes one (more "good things" go through it than amazons..)

Last edited:

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Geez....the iPad screen will still beat the screen of the HD prime, assuming it ever hits..thats how it always is with android....gotta wait on the next....it's always the next you have to compare to..but this time the hd prime is coming up short...

eep02b

iPF Noob
Reaction score
milkmilklemonade said:
The Infinity isn't out yet. The New iPad is. Why WOULDN'T you compare what's currently available from Apple, to what's currently available to Android?

Stylus - Do you happen to use tablets for school? I do - I've used the TF101, TF201, and new iPad. The keyboard is woefully inadequate once your instructor starts drawing diagrams on the board. Hence why you need a stylus.

If you've actually compared Stylus response on both devices like you claim, you would of noticed a significant different in the fluidity & response on the iPad vs the Asus mentioned above (actually Xoom, and GT Tab 10 as well, since I owned those too and tested them as well). The iPad has become a "binder" replacer, and taking quick notes during lecture/drawing reactions, anatomical structures etc is as smooth as paper. Not so much on Android..

iOS doesn't require iTunes either - updates are done OTA and I transfer all my music via dropbox etc. I don't even have iTunes installed..

As someone who owns the Galaxy Tab 10 - do you notice how plasticky and fragile it feels? It's definitely lighter than the iPad, and thinner but...as someone who's dropped both the Galaxy Tab and (new) iPad - guess which one survived, ?

In app purchases are stated on the iTunes store, but you're not understanding what I'm talking about.

Know amazons "free app of the day?". iTunes does similar, but it's on steroids as many more apps are reduced or free. I have three hundred amazon apps downloaded from the free apps a day, and less from iTunes, but I'm generally much more excited about the iTunes one (more "good things" go through it than amazons..)

Common sense would tell you not to compare apples to oranges. so why would u do that with sd screens to he screens?? I mean obviously thenhd screen will be better. If I compare a iPhone 3GS to an iPhone 4s of course the screens are gonna look different.
As for the stylus. That's a matter of your opinion. I've used stylus on both tablets, and have seen no difference on either screen. If you are seeing a diff, maybe you need to clean your screen. But honestly, I'd much rather use my finger. Even in class taking notes. I agree that a tablet can be a replacement for a binder, but I can just as easily use my finger to write as I can with a stylus.
In app purchases are stated on the store?? Them how come I've downloaded lots of "free" apps only to find out the functionality I wanted requires an in app purchase?? And all of the apps I use on android I have gotten either free, or severely reduced. The apps may be on sale, but not nearly as much as android. 10 cent apps, free apps, 25 cent apps, I'll take that over reducuced to 99 cents from 4.99 for the iPad version everyday. And what's with diff versions for most of the iPad apps?? I'm still trying to get used to having to purchase diff apps for phone and tablet...

zphone

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The apps that have completely separate purchases for iPhone and iPad are because it was a complete rewrite for the tablet to take advantage of it fully. The reason that does not exist for android tablets is because most apps are written for phones.

Though I have come across android apps that say Tegra 2 or 3 required. That seems worse to me.

Most reactions

Latest posts