1. Due to the recent site upgrade, the iPadForums (iPF) App will no longer work. The new iPadForums.net website has been designed from the ground up to work perfectly from any mobile, tablet, or desktop computer using the built in internet browser. Create a shortcut to iPadForums.net on your home screen by following these steps: Create an icon for iPadForums.net

Problems with excel when using dropbox

Discussion in 'iPad General Discussions' started by adamw, Nov 24, 2012.

1. adamw

adamw iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Hi guys,

Have a bit of an issue when opening an excel file through Dropbox. Basically I have a database that also contains a list of email addresses (500 or so) and I can view them fine. I can also tap on any of the addresses and it allows me to open up mail to send them an email. That's all okay.

However, I have this list of 500 broken up into smaller files (just for ease of viewing). When I tap on an email address in one of these files, it doesn't allow me to send an email (only gives me the option to copy the entire row which is not what I want). Why is this happening?

Also, is it possible to copy just one cell (i.e. the cell containing the email address)? If so, that would be great as I could then copy and paste when sending a document.

Thanks!

Adam.
  2. Mickey330

Mickey330 Administrator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,752 / 0
    This isn't going to help much, but - have you tried using that Excel file in another app that is designed to work with Excel files (like DocumentsToGo, Numbers, Smart Office 2 or Quickoffice Pro, among others)? I ask because Dropbox isn't really an Excel handling app as it mainly just allows you to view a file (not work with it extensively as the others do). It has the "Open In..." function so you can open one of those apps ... or the one of your choice.

All that means that no, I don't know how to make Dropbox do as you wish. Hopefully someone else can assist with that specifically...

Sorry. :)

Marilyn
  3. twerppoet

twerppoet iPad Legend

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,011 / 1
    Just a warning. The Numbers app is excellent in many ways, but it does not allow links inside of cells; so it is not the solution for this. I am not familiar with how the other apps handle this; but probably better.