What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Problems with Cydia and cannot re-jailbreak due to Recoverguard

flyboy320

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'm running 5.1.1 on an ipad 2 and for some reason Cydia cannot download any packages, install, or search any programs. It starts up fine, but doesn't show any packages installed, doesn't show any changes, doesn't show any installed programs, and returns no results when I search for programs. It doesn't give any error messages, just doesn't return any results. It also gives errors when updating database on packages that I have removed.

So I was going to use absinthe to re-jailbreak, but I installed Recoverguard when Cydia was working and of course I cannot un-install it because Cydia does not show it as installed. My iOS version is 5.1.1 (9z999) so absinthe cannot jailbreak it.

Anyone know how I can proceed to fix this? Maybe somehow re-install Cydia, do a full restore (although I don't know how that will go since iOS shows a version of 9z999)? I have saved shsh from tinyumbrella 5.1.1

Last edited:

f4780y

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Yes, you can choose to restore your backup at the end of the process.

OP
F

flyboy320

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I am trying to follow the tutorial, but after I do step 6 I get the following pop up messages. After the first message pops up I select the file "iPad2,1_5.1.1_9B206_Restore.ipsw" which I downloaded from the tutorial page. Once I do that, the second pop up shows with the error. The last picture shows the blobs options are greyed out.

I'm thinking it may have something to do with the version of 5.1.1 (9Z999)?

Perhaps I should use redsnOw and re-jailbreak it (that way it may re-install cydia which is all I really need to fix)?

Attachments

• 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    14.8 KB · Views: 290
  • 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    21 KB · Views: 309
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    29.2 KB · Views: 331
Last edited:

willerz2

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Your build doesn't match. The re-restore feature would reflect the build type. The only clean and simple way to get you back to 5.1.1, would be to upgrade to 6.1.3 and downgrade back to 5.1.1. Again, as the sticky that f4780y has already pointed out, you'll need iOS 4.x blobs and iOS 5.X blobs.

OP
F

flyboy320

iPF Noob
Reaction score
OK, I can do that as I do have the iOS 4.x blobs and iOS 5.X blobs.

But what about just using redsnOw to re-jailbreak it, would that work to get me Cydia working again (or because I'm on 9z999 would it cause problems)?

If I was to upgrade, how do I do that since iTunes thinks I'm on the latest version because I installed Recoverguard?

willerz2

iPF Novice
Reaction score
DFU restore should get rid of RecoverGuard. That's the one thing about RecoverGuard, is that it implements a hard change in your device's profiling, so you'll have to manually get rid of it.

You can't rejailbreak a device since it's already jailbroken. You can re-install Cydia using MobileTerminal or possibly iFunBox but you probably still get some issues with it unless you completely remove Cydia off your device first.

OP
F

flyboy320

iPF Noob
Reaction score
OK, thanks I'll try the DFU restore and go from there. When I do this will it keep my apps (other than cydia ones), or does it erase them?

Also, do I use iTunes for the DFU restore, and restore the firmware I already have on the ipad, 5.1.1?

Last edited:

willerz2

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Restoring will always wipe your device. You can't re-restore using iTunes, it'll have to be RedSn0w because it takes advantage of a restore vulnerability. You'll have to restore to the latest iOS, then downgrade. But that's only if you have both iOS 4 and iOS 5 blobs. Otherwise, your only option for restoring would be 6.1.3.

The point of restoring to 6.1.3 then downgrading is to be able restore your device back to an iOS with a functional build, which is the current problem that we have at our hands

OP
F

flyboy320

iPF Noob
Reaction score
OK, think I got it now. I'll restore with redsnOw to 6.1.3 and then downgrade to 5.1.1 since I have the blobs for both iOS4 and iOS5.

I think I remember trying this with redsnOw and it said it couldn't restore this device, but I'll give it another shot and see how it goes.

willerz2

iPF Novice
Reaction score
It shouldn't give you problems assuming you're on a fresh iOS. With recover guard, you'll have problems since the builds don't match

OP
F

flyboy320

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I remember now it was Absinthe that gave me the error, so I'll try it with redsnOw.

OP
F

flyboy320

iPF Noob
Reaction score
OK, so I have figured out how to downgrade/re-restore from 6.1.3 to 5.1.1 using redsn0w (following the tutorial posted by linkf4780y), but what about the first step, how to upgrade/restore to 6.1.3, do I use redsn0w for that as well? Do I place the ipad into DFU and use redsn0w? I searched but couldn't find a how to on using redsn0w to upgrade firmware.

f4780y

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
OK, so I have figured out how to downgrade/re-restore from 6.1.3 to 5.1.1 using redsn0w (following the tutorial posted by linkf4780y), but what about the first step, how to upgrade/restore to 6.1.3, do I use redsn0w for that as well? Do I place the ipad into DFU and use redsn0w? I searched but couldn't find a how to on using redsn0w to upgrade firmware.

You simply need to use iTunes to restore to 6.1.3. You not normally need any special tools.

If you run into problems, we have a guide here - http://www.ipadforums.net/ipad-hack...lsafe-method-restore-current-version-ios.html

Most reactions

Latest posts