What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Problems with camera connection kit !

Andy Loba

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Since i installed the new ios version 4. on my Ipad I cannot transfert images from my SD card to Ipad using the camera connection kit adapter. Are there others having similar problems? If not, could you help me solve the problem.Thanks for your cooperation.

BrennB

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Are your images in a folder labeled DCIM? That is a must... Were you successfully transferring prior to upgrade from the same SD card?

wickedtwix

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have the same problem. The SD card contains one Folder that is called DCIM and I have transferred pictures with the connection daily...until now. same card, but it does not work.

The card is kind of recognized by the pad and the camera section is visible but the message reads "not pictures to be imported" well at eleast that is about the equivalent of the german message I get.

Anyone else with the problem? or the solution perhaps?

OP
Andy Loba

Andy Loba

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Are your images in a folder labeled DCIM? That is a must... Were you successfully transferring prior to upgrade from the same SD card?
I Think you are right about the DCIM folder since my camera creates such folder. Nevertheless, when I create a DCIM folder myself on a new SD card and add images to it, the IPAD only recognize some of them and consequently only transfer the ones it recognized.
Questions : Could it be that the IPAD only recognize certain image file types ?
Question #2 : Is it possible to move images from one folder to another on the IPAD ?

Thanks for your cooperation.

wickedtwix

iPF Noob
Reaction score
@andy loba

I had a certain recognition problem prior to upgrading to 4.2. Not all pictures were regognised by the ipad although all of them had the same file type. because this only applied to a small number of files, i thought that there is somethin wrong with the files. Nontheless, I could see an icon for each photo that the ipad was unable to open

Now after the update, I don't even get icons for non-openable pictures but only the message that there are no pictures to be transferred....period. And its the same SD card with the same pictures as a day before the upgrade.

slothead

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Website
tjmanson1.wordpress.com
There are a number of threads on this topic, so many that I can't keep track of them all. However my understanding is that the CCK will allow the iPad to read "unmodified" image files. I tested this by using my Nikon D300S with three photos. Right out of the camera (using the SD card), the iPad saw and downloaded them all. I then modified two of the three. I modified one of them by reducing the resolution from 300 ppi to 72 ppi and saved it under the same name. The second one I did the same reduction but saved it with an "a" suffix on the filename. The iPad saw the new modified image under the same name, but it did not see the image that had the filename modified (the "a" suffix).

Reaction score
I have had my fun today with this issue, so let me add what I can to the discussion.

About a month back, I was preparing a number of iPads for a staff training. I had 20 camera connection kits, and 20 SD cards, and the instructor wanted me to pre-load some images on the cards. So, to make sure it worked, I pre-loaded the pics and then tried to use the connection kit to get the pics on the pads. Wouldn't work. Tried all kinds of formats. Began to think of new cuss words. Long story short, the SD card has to have a folder labeled DCIM, just like some of the above comments have talked about. You create the folder, put your pics in it, and Bob's your uncle! Everything works fine. That is, until today.

We we're trying to load some pics onto about 9 pads that have the new iOS, and we couldn't get the camera connection kits to work. However, we had 1 pad with the old iOS, and it worked fine. So, used the camera connection kit to link the iPad with old iOS to the ones with the new iOS (one at a time of course) and we were able to transfer the pics that way.

Why the pics wouldn't load on the iPads with the new iOS is still a mystery. However, given the above comments, and this experience, I think we can safely conclude that the problem has to do with the new iOS.

Munky

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have also read, for those that jailbreak, that alot of usb stickcks and other accessories that worked before don't now because Apple cut the power requirements by 80% or something along those lines.

Reaction score
Looks like one of my teachers figured it out. Here's what he found:
The photos app now will only import pictures that are named like a picture off the camera. So, if you're using a camera, no problem, but if you're trying to load in pictures that are coming from another source on the SD card, you have to make them look like pictures that came straight from a camera. In the past, we had to "trick" the photos app by creating a folder. Now, we have to trick the photos app by renaming them; for example DSC_0001.jpg.

OP
Andy Loba

Andy Loba

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The photos app now will only import pictures that are named like a picture off the camera. So, if you're using a camera, no problem, but if you're trying to load in pictures that are coming from another source on the SD card, you have to make them look like pictures that came straight from a camera. In the past, we had to "trick" the photos app by creating a folder. Now, we have to trick the photos app by renaming them; for example DSC_0001.jpg.

Very interesting
[email protected] !

Does that mean I don't have to create a DCIM dir if I rename my files as you explained ... DSC_00002.jpg ?
Or do I have to do both ?

Thanks to you and your teacher.

Andy Loba

michali

iPF Novice
Reaction score
As the CCK costs so much here, I was very reluctant to buy it given the problems reported on this forum and elsewhere, but, being such an Apple addict, I did! It works fine for me using the SD card dock.

I really think that Apple changed the dynamics when they realized people were using it as a USB. But for just photos taken on camera and then transferring them to ipad, it seems to work.

Lowjiber1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
A friend just emailed me regarding the difficulty with using the camera/SD card kit with the new iOS.

Here's a quote from his email....

"Apple's iOS 4.2 upgrade has prevented data being read from some USB devices because the fondle slab puts out five times less power than before.
The iPad has a camera connection kit enabling pictures on SD cards in digital cameras to be transferred to the iPad. This works well with the previous iPAD O/S, iOS 3, but that has 100ma going out to the USB device whereas iOS 4.2 only dribbles out a weak 20ma, not enough for many USB-connect devices.
An Apple support discussion forum thread covers the issue."

He went on to say, "
Using a powered USB hub apparently works as a fix."

matt_90036

iPF Noob
Reaction score
thank you Steve Jobs!!! now we have to go through all that just to get access to our stuff...

photocat

iPF Noob
Reaction score
before i updated the ipad it worked with a USB cable and card reader, now it says not enough power.

I don't use a camera with an sd card so i need to restore the old OS are figure out the work around.

Lowjiber1 any clues about how the powered hub fits in the picture (no pun intended)?

Plug the powered hub into the connector and the card reader into the hub,, that seems the most logical
gosh, just more stuff to drag around when traveling ugh.

Just tested it and that will work, plug the powered hub into the connector and then the card reader into the hub.

thanks for the info.

Last edited:

Most reactions

Latest posts