What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Problems watching BBC iplayer on TV

Martc

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Help please!

My wifi iPad is connected to my tv with Apple's component cable.

Using the BBC iplayer through the BBC website with Safari it works fine. However when using Atomic Web Browser the programmes won't play unless "Flash Player" is installed.

Finally, when using the BBC iplayer app I get sound on the tv but no picture!!

Are there some settings that need to be changed?

mcon_stu

iPF Noob
Reaction score
BBC iplayer on TV

Was there ever an answer to this? I have exact same problem. Sound but no picture. Very frustrating.

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Are you using the iPlayer app or trying to view via the iPlayer website?
I'm assuming you're based in the UK?
I use iPlayer - the latest update - and have no problems at all.
Remember, too, it needs a good broadband link - several megabits/second.

Tim

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Sound but no picture is usually - but not always - poor broadband bandwidth. The encoding protocol initially reduces the picture resolution and frame rate and then defaults to audio only.

Tim

mcon_stu

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks. Using iPad app but perhaps the broadband; will investigate elsewhere and compare.

OP
M

Martc

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Just tried this again and the original problem remains - using the iplayer app there is sound and no picture but using the iplayer through Safari it works ok.

Surely the problem can't be broadband as it works for one and not the other.

One thing I did notice is that with the iplayer app the picture ccontinues to be shown on the ipad, whereas with Safari the picture switches to the tv.

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Wow...OK.....didn't notice that :( )...iPlayer app is not compatible with the component cable. The use or otherwise of the cable is an app issue - i.e. the developer can choose to support the cable or not. The iPlayer app Developer chose not to support the component cable - but Safari does...

Tim

OP
M

Martc

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Should we inform the BBC and request an enhancement?

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Absolutely!! They've incorporated some changes into this release (I asked for 3G support and it's there - not saying that I had any influence, though...:( ) - but they do listen...

Tim

michali

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I know this is an old thread but I have just started using the BBC iplayer on my ipad 2 and have the same problem as above. I can get as much as 20 mins into a program and then it goes blank and I can just hear the sound. Sometimes I can close the app and reopen and find the spot at which it froze but it keeps happening and after a while, I forget what I am watching! I tried using Safari but have the same problem. Last night, I was able to watch a whole episode but mostly all shows get interrupted, I am so disappointed.

Gabriel1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
michali said:
I know this is an old thread but I have just started using the BBC iplayer on my ipad 2 and have the same problem as above. I can get as much as 20 mins into a program and then it goes blank and I can just hear the sound. Sometimes I can close the app and reopen and find the spot at which it froze but it keeps happening and after a while, I forget what I am watching! I tried using Safari but have the same problem. Last night, I was able to watch a whole episode but mostly all shows get interrupted, I am so disappointed.

Could it be your Internet speed, I've watched plenty of programmes on the iPlayer and not had any interruptions?

The Archangel

michali

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I am wondering about that but I can use ITV player and Catchup just fine so not sure. Glad to know you are getting good service from BBC iplayer!

michali

iPF Novice
Reaction score
2.82 mbs per sec . What is happening is the player plays for about 15-20 mins and then suddenly switches back to the beginning! So I close the player and reopen and sometimes it restarts where it left off, but as the episode continues the player does this more and more.

Most reactions

Latest posts