Problems sorting colums in numbers

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions - Site Assistance' started by Heilsxm, Dec 13, 2012.

1. Heilsxm

Heilsxm iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    When i try to sort a column it returns to the original order in a fraction of a second. What am i doing wrong?

2. twerppoet

twerppoet iPad Legend

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,976 / 1
    Strange. Without seeing the spreadsheet I can only throw out the usual fixes. If they don't work, describe what you are doing in more detail, or if there is no private data involved upload the file to a cloud service and share the link. I'd be happy to take a look and see if it happens on my iPad too.

-----------

The usual fixes:

When you have problems with an app it's a good idea to clear it from RAM.

Close/Clear the app: With the problem app closed, double tap on the Home button to get the multitask bar. Tap and hold on any icon in the bar until they jiggle, then tap the minus sign on the problem app. This will remove it from RAM and insure a clean start the next time you launch the app.

If that does not work try a restart,

Restart: Hold down the power button until the power off slider appears. Slide it off. When the iPad finishes shutting down, hold down the power button again until the Apple logo appears. Apple recommends you restart the iPad at least once a month.

and then a reset if that does not work.

Reset: Hold down the power and home buttons until the Apple logo appears. The iPad will reboot. This usually takes a bit longer than a restart. takes a bit longer than a restart.

Reset All Settings: Another, somewhat more drastic thing you can do is Reset All Settings. You'll find this under Settings > General > Reset > Reset All Settings. It won't erase any of your content, apps, or accounts; but you will have to go through most of your other settings and re-tweak them back to your liking.

3. Heilsxm

Heilsxm iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Hi Twerppoet

thanks,

I have tried everything except the complete reset, but to no avail. I' d love you to have a look at it, if only I knew how to add it to a cloud service.

4. twerppoet

twerppoet iPad Legend

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,976 / 1
    Reset all Settings is unlikely to solve this problem anyway. I just didn't delete it when I copy/pasted it from my notes.

Well, first you need a cloud service. I recommend either Dropbox as the easiest to use. I also like Box.com with it's extra features and options, but it takes a bit more to learn it's features.

Once you have the account, download the companion app (from the App Store) to you iPad, open it, and sign into your account.

In Numbers, go to the document page, choose Edit, select the spreadsheet, tap the share icon at the top left (box with arrow), and choose Open in Another App. Make sure you select the Numbers format. When it is done exporting tap the Choose App button and select the cloud app (DropBox, presumably).

The cloud app will open, and give you some save options; the ability to change the file name and/or folders to save in, usually.

Select the newly uploaded file in the app. It will probably download it.

Somewhere in the app you should see the Share icon; a box with a curved arrow coming out of it. It's the first of the three icons at the top right in DropBox. Tap in and choose Copy Link to Clipboard {if you chose a service other than DropBox, the menthod of copying the share URL will vary from this}.

Now all you have to do is paste the URL into your post when replying to the thread.

If you are posting from a computer, you can access your DropBox account from a browser, and/or download and install the DropBox app on the computer. You'll be able to generate and paste the share URL using those tools as well.

Oh, I see you only have 2 posts so far. You'll need to make one post more before the forum will let you paste a link. This limit helps keep the spam bots away.

Last edited: Dec 13, 2012
  5. Heilsxm

Heilsxm iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Thanks again,

I will paste the link in the next post.

I am trying to sort the results table by percentage. I was unable to so I used ranking instead, but I can still not sort that column I think everything else should be pretty basic for you.

6. Heilsxm

Heilsxm iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
  7. twerppoet

twerppoet iPad Legend

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,976 / 1
    Ok. I'll go take a look.

8. twerppoet

twerppoet iPad Legend

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,976 / 1
    I can't duplicate the problem. All the columns I tried would sort. It played havoc with your formulas (tons of errors appear) but the columns sorted, and stayed sorted. Well, until I tapped lots of Undos to clean things back up. I wonder if the app is trying to protect your formulas' integrity.

What columns were you trying to sort?

What version of iOS are you running?

If iOS6, are you running the latest version of Numbers?

Here is your file back.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/dcop87rdvqhqtd4/Results 121212_1.numbers

Try re-importing it to Numbers and see if the problem persists, or gets worse for all I know. The only thing I changed (on purpose) was to increase Table 1's header rows to 2 and footer rows to 4; so they would not sort along with the scores.

9. Heilsxm

Heilsxm iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Hi here,

Thanks for your efforts.

10. Heilsxm

Heilsxm iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I am running iOS 6.0.1 numbers V 1.7.1 (741)

I am trying to sort the table RESULTS columns % or rank, but the error repeats itself. Even the names will not sort. Here is what I do: I touch a cell in a table to have the bars outside the table come up. Then I click on SORT above the primary column I want to sort by, then ASCENDING and voila, nothing..
    It is not really that important, but I would like to understand if I am doing something wrong.
    Txs

11. twerppoet

twerppoet iPad Legend

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,976 / 1
    I still can not duplicate the sorting problem. Which is confusing since we are using the same version.

But, I did some major work on the Results table. Mostly to entertain myself and as self education, but you may find it useful.

By using the INDEX function instead of directly linking to Table 1, I managed to keep the formulas from breaking when sorting. Note that the # column is used as part of the INDEX statement, so editing this will break things. You can sort by it though, to get your original order back. I formatted the # column to numbers. It was automatic, and sorting as text: 1, 10, 11…16, 2, 3…9 instead of 1, 2, 3…16.

I got tried of seeing zeros and error flags, so I used some IF and IFERROR functions to clean up the results. I also extended the rank function to include all 16 rows in the table, otherwise sorting in descending order in the Rank column in the Results table broke the function.

Try importing this version of the spreadsheet and see if it now works. If you need a more detailed explanation of what I did, feel free to ask, but you should probably read the descriptions of each function first so we're talking on the same points.

I've tacked a _3 on the end to differentiate the files from the earlier two.
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/vw6eys7hrskyq2m/Results 121212_3.numbers

If this does not work, all I can suggest is deleting and re-installing Numbers on the iPad. If you are syncing with iCloud, your documents should re-sync when you turn iCloud syncing back on in Settings > Numbers. If not using iCloud, or as an added precaution (recommended), export your documents to DropBox (as Numbers files). It's fairly easy to re-import them from the DropBox app.

Last edited: Dec 14, 2012
  12. Heilsxm

Heilsxm iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Thanks,

I Will look at it and report back.

13. Heilsxm

Heilsxm iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Hi There,

Thanks, it looks much better without the error flags. Also the sorting suddenly works.

I have two new problems though.
    1. In the RESULTS table the % column now displays the points in stead of the percentage. From row 9 in stead of row 10. I tried to change the REF, but then the ranking stops working and the nasty error flags are back.

2. I am unable now to input the names via the form. Probably a small thing, but I can't solve it. Not even if I make a new form.

Thanks for all the help so far.

14. twerppoet

twerppoet iPad Legend

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,976 / 1
    1. My fault. I accidentally selected the points instead of the percentage column in the formula. Rather than trying to talk you through correcting the formula I'll just post the corrected version _4 here. It's kind of a nice change, anyway. Instead of a long IF statement to detect nulls, I was able to simplify it an use IFERROR.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ie558bh42zlxame/Results 121212_4.numbers

On the other hand, if you fix the error flag for that row in Table 1 the formula will have to be adjusted again. If you do that and can't figure out how to use the IF statement, let me know. The Names column still uses the IF statement, so you can use that as a template.

2. Oops. That would be because I changed the number of header rows from 1 to 2. I did that when I was playing around with sorting on Table 1. I've undone that damage as well.

It's an interesting sheet you're working on. It's been a pleasure playing with it.

15. Heilsxm

Heilsxm iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Hi Twerppoet,

Everything works the way I want. I was able to use the IFERROR statement in the big table in the percentage row, so it looks better now.
    Thanks a million, I. Couldn't have done it alone. I still do not know why the sorting did not work, but what is important is that it works now.
    Stay well, I might need your brain at some other time

TXs