What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Problems pairing iPad 4 with iPhone 5 using Bluetooth

keegantr

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hey guys, I'm stumped!
I can send pics & vids via AirDrop's Bluetooth connection but not pair the damn things!
I'm using iOS 7.0.4 on both & I have JailBroken both with evasi0n 4, but the problem was there befor that...
Any ideas & help?

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
There's not much point in pairing two iOS devices. You can't share files that way. About the only thing you can do is use it to tether one device's internet to the other. Something that works far better using the hotspot feature. Bluetooth tethering is a legacy method for older iPhone models that can not create a hotspot. On a stock iPhone both the hotspot and Bluetooth tethering have to be enabled by the carrier.

Apps that use Bluetooth to communicate or transfer files between two iOS devices do not need or require pairing through Settings. They handle discovery and other functions directly in the app.

Since you mentioned jailbreak, I believe there a a couple things you can do via bluetooth pairing that can not be done on a stock device, but I'm not familiar with them. You would have to ask the folks here that do jailbreak. They hang out in the Hacking area of the forum.

Once upon a time I did pair my iPhone and iPad, just to see what would happen. It took several tries, with a lot of turning Bluetooth on and off again, to get both devices into discovery mode. Once paired, nothing special could be done with it, beyond the internet tethering already mentioned.

leelai

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Hi and welcome to the Forum!

As you are jailbroken, I've moved your thread to our Hacking Section where the knowledgeable folk there should be able to help you.

Good luck with your issue.

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Hello.

There is nothing I am aware of in the jail break world that allows you to pair two phones together. Bluetooth has always been used to transfer files or to connect an external device such as keyboards and headsets.

If you mean "tethering" versus pairing (where you want the iPad to use the iPhone as a hotspot), there are such tweaks/apps available in Cydia such as MyWi, PdaNet and TetherMe. They allow you to create a hotspot on the phone and connect the iPad.

Just know this: carriers are aware of these tethering tweaks and, if they catch you tethering without an official plan [purchase] from them, the best you can hope for is a warning message asking you to cease and desist. At the worse, they'll automatically switch your plan over to one that allows tethering (at further monthly plan cost to you).

Marilyn

Most reactions

Latest posts