What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Problems connecting to iPad from Internet Explorer

rkayd

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Some apps require connecting to/from computer using ip address (such as uploading files to iPad through Internet Explorer of ftp). At home this all works perfectly but at work I have problems.

Somewhere I read that in some work environments a person needs to create an ad hoc connection. I did that. The internet works fine and my trackpad (on iPad) works fine, but I cannot connect from Internet Explorer using the 192.***.***.***:8080 address in either direct connection to the work wifi or the ad hoc wifi.

When connecting to the regular work wifi I noticed that the computers on there have an address like 192.***.1.*** but on my iPad the address is 192.***.0.***. Does the 1 and 0 make a difference? I would think it would. I tried manually setting a static ip using the work ip configuration but that didn't work. Most of it is fairly self explanatory but I didn't know what to put in the Search Domains so I left that blank. Was that a problem? Also, should the HTTP Proxy be set up?

I am using Windows 7.

MikesTooLz

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Website
Weather.Team
First let the program your trying to use on your ipad.

second you seem confused about wither it should be HTTP or FTP.

Some work environments will block FTP.

OP
R

rkayd

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Is it my bad spelling that makes you think I'm confused. I meant to say (such as uploading files to iPad through Internet Explorer OR ftp).

I know what HTTP is and I know what FTP is. I use FTP quite regularly, and like I said, either one works great at home.

Are you saying that some work environments block FTP but the HTTP should still work? Well, in my case neither works, and as I read other places, creating an ad hoc network would fix that, but it doesn't seem to for me. I am wondering if I am doing something wrong or if it's my ip address that is causing the problem and how to fix that.

Were you asking which apps I am trying to use? If so, there are many apps. Some examples would be HanDbase, iFiles, iPanDisk, & VideoSafe (VS) to name a few. HanDbase would be the most important one in my case. Some remotes like trackpads, etc. don't work either, but I think I found one that does the trick and connects great.

Last edited:

MikesTooLz

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Website
Weather.Team
Is it my bad spelling that makes you think I'm confused. I meant to say (such as uploading files to iPad through Internet Explorer OR ftp).

I know what HTTP is and I know what FTP is. I use FTP quite regularly, and like I said, either one works great at home.

Are you saying that some work environments block FTP but the HTTP should still work? Well, in my case neither works, and as I read other places, creating an ad hoc network would fix that, but it doesn't seem to for me. I am wondering if I am doing something wrong or if it's my ip address that is causing the problem and how to fix that.

Were you asking which apps I am trying to use? If so, there are many apps. Some examples would be HanDbase, iFiles, iPanDisk, & VideoSafe (VS) to name a few. HanDbase would be the most important one in my case. Some remotes like trackpads, etc. don't work either, but I think I found one that does the trick and connects great.

Some work environments block both FTP port 21 and HTTP port:8080.
normal sites use http port:80, odd programs like your ipad app use 8080.

OP
R

rkayd

iPF Noob
Reaction score
So, my question is, is there any way to get around that by using ad hoc or anything?

Most reactions

Latest posts