What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Problems connecting ipad2 (AT&T) with hotel wifi

jennygulb

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I just bought this ipad2 and am having trouble connecting to a hotel wifi. Basically it finds the network and seems to connect, but every time I open up a browser or any other app that tries to use the Internet, I get an error message saying the device isn't connected to the Internet. It seems like i should be able to get to the splash screen that enables me to sign in, but I don't see how to do that if Safari doesnt recognize the connection. I have already disabled popups, to no avail...

Any assistance would be much appreciated.

jsh1120

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I travel on business frequently and have quite a bit of experience with hotel wifi connections that fail. Here's my recommendation though I suspect it may not solve your problem.

I suspect the problem lies with the internet service, not your iPad. First, take your problem to the hotel staff but don't expect any real help. If you're at a hotel that charges for wifi access, you may be able to contact the third party service provider via a 800 number for technical assistance. Or if the ISP is a local third party, the hotel may be able to give you a number to call for technical assistance.

My guess is that the internet provider doesn't support the Safari browser. Thus, you're not getting the splash screen that confirms your connection and validates the charge (if any) for wifi access. If that's the case, I've sometimes had success in getting a reduction in my bill as a good will gesture on the part of the hotel.

Finally, because I travel frequently, I pay for a wifi hotspot portable router provided by Verizon. It's a relatively expensive option, calling for a $50 per month two year contract (unlike the month to month option for a 3G iPad) but it does provide an alternative to hotels that advertise but don't really provide wifi access. And because it's a hotspot rather than a built-in option, I can use it for my laptop as well as my iPad.

Bottom line is that almost all hotels now offer "wifi internet." Whether it actually works and works in all rooms (sometimes far from their router) is another matter altogether. Best to check with the hotel ahead of time to see if they've had complaints and to make clear that internet access is essential for you.

DM51

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Quite often, even where WiFi is available, you'll have to sign in with a password each time and then be subjected to “welcome!” screens and other such annoyances; and you may also find the connection is pretty slow, depending how many other users are trying to access it.

To be honest, you will often be better off using a 3G connection, if there is coverage.

OP
J

jennygulb

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks to both of you; I will let you know if the hotel is of any use but share your pessimism. The only reason I was trying the wifi is I am getting An error when trying to download certain apps from the app store that are over 20mb. It's telling me I have to either log in to wifi or download to my computer. I'll tackle that one next...

Most reactions

Latest posts