What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Problems charging ipad2 when in universal docking station

fitzpatrick2362

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi,

Recently purchased kitsound charge and sync docking station(£10) for ipad2 from amazon.

The problem that I am having is that it won't charge my iPad 2. I have tried a classic and my iPhone and they both charge fine. The audio output works fine on all 3 appliances just the ipad2 won't charge.

Any ideas on why this could be as the product is marketed for ipad2.

I live in uk

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi,

Recently purchased kitsound charge and sync docking station(£10) for ipad2 from amazon.

The problem that I am having is that it won't charge my iPad 2. I have tried a classic and my iPhone and they both charge fine. The audio output works fine on all 3 appliances just the ipad2 won't charge.

Any ideas on why this could be as the product is marketed for ipad2.

I live in uk

Just a thought - because I noticed you said you found it charged the iPhone OK - you were using the iPad charger?

Tim

OP
F

fitzpatrick2362

iPF Noob
Reaction score
One thing I should say is that I purchased the ipad in the US- but this wouldnt make a difference with the charging would it?

I can charge it with my iphone charger ok ( just the generic plug with usb) and I can charge it with the US plug with a convertor on it

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
No - it won't make any difference that it was bought in the US. I am puzzled, because you say

(a) the dock charges the iPad1 OK - thus indicating that the dock is OK
(b) you can charge the iPad2 with the standalone charger - thus indicating the iPad2 is OK.

Now the only other thing that comes to mind - and you can tell I'm clutching at straws - is you say the dock is specifically for the iPad2 which is, of course, thinner than the iPad1. But you say that the dock accomodates the iPad1 OK, so is the iPad2 slightly loose in the dock or is there some clever clamping mechanism in this dock?

Tim

OP
F

fitzpatrick2362

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Sorry, I never meant to say the ipad1 charges in it. I have not got/tried an ipad1. The ipod classic and iphone both charge in it.

What you said though about the ipad maybe not sitting in correctly was my initial thought as it does feel like you can push the classic and iphone down a little further. But then you can get an audio output from and the product is specifically for an ipad2 so I am stumped.

Could it maybe be charging but just not showing it in top right hand corner or does ipad2 require more power to charge than the other ipods etc and the dock does not have that power????? Clutching at straws myself

I have listed the url below.

Thanks for your help guys. I think I will contact Amazon

[ame=http://www.amazon.co.uk/iPad-Charge-Audio-connect-Hi-Fi/dp/B003XMVWF4/ref=pd_cp_ce_3]Kit iPad / iPad 2 Charge and Sync Dock with Audio Out to connect to Hi-Fi - Compatible with Laptops, Mac and PC: Amazon.co.uk: Computers & Accessories[/ame]

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
OK - yes - the iPad most certainly does require more power than an iPod to charge but I assumed you were using the iPad2 charger that came with the iPad and had that plugged into the dock. If you've got the iPod charger plugged into the dock, then the iPad won't charge (at least, not very quickly). But it normally displays a 'not charging' logo over by the battery when this happens.

So, can you confirm (and don't get mad with me :( ) that you are using the iPad2 charger and have that powering the dock?

Tim

OP
F

fitzpatrick2362

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I am not mad :). I appreciated the help.

Yes I am using the ipad2 charger which when plugged directly into ipad2 charges ok. It is only when i put it through the docking station that it does not charge. It does not make the bleeping noise either to let you know that it is connected when coming through the dock but does when plugged directly into ipad2.

One thing to not is that i have a converter plug from charger to socket as it was purchased in US

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I am not mad :). I appreciated the help.

Yes I am using the ipad2 charger which when plugged directly into ipad2 charges ok. It is only when i put it through the docking station that it does not charge. It does not make the bleeping noise either to let you know that it is connected when coming through the dock but does when plugged directly into ipad2.

One thing to not is that i have a converter plug from charger to socket as it was purchased in US

The adaptor plug won't make any difference - it's simply a physical interface to enable the charger to mate with the UK power outlet.

I am just stumped now. It's like one of those detective novels where you just can't work out who is the murderer, but you know one of those people is. You've been through everything that I can think of.

In your previous post, you did mention the different 'feel' when you pushed the iPad into the dock to that you felt when the iPod was pushed in. It reminded me of another problem that Members have experienced with their iPads - that the headphone plug needs to be pushed *really* hard into the socket for it to connect properly; we get a lot of Members reporting that their headphone socket is faulty because they're too gentle in pushing it in. I'm hesitant to suggest you push a little harder, but is it possible to see - by looking from the side of the dock - whether the iPad is seating firmly when it's plugged in - as compared to the iPod?

Tim

OP
F

fitzpatrick2362

iPF Noob
Reaction score
its as far in as it will go so i am stumped myself.

I will contact the seller t see of similar problems.

If not it will be geting returned.

Thanks for taking the time to help.

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Let me know how it goes - I simply *hate* to be defeated on solving a problem....

Thanks for your patience....

Tim

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
I'll throw in my two cents, and in this case that's about what it's worth. Is the iPad in a case that might prevent it from seating fully?

tmno2

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Case interference is more than likely!
I had to snip a bit of a slice off the connector hole to allow the iPad connector to seat properly and thus charge effectively, there was a small overhang of leather preventing the correct mating of the two devices.
My "INCASE" exceptional in all other ways, needed a minor operation, and survived without further problem.

Danny17S

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Fix

its as far in as it will go so i am stumped myself.

I will contact the seller t see of similar problems.

If not it will be geting returned.

Thanks for taking the time to help.

Hey

I recently purchaced the same dock off Amazon. I also experienced the problem you described and went to this site. Having knowledge of electronics I dismantled the dock and using test equipment I found a solution for u you. At the iPad end of the circuit board there is asurface mount resistor. I took out this resistor with a solering ironand tested it. The cable that came with the dock I also descovered had birnt out and subsequently kept earthing itself. Having disconnected the resistor (and not resoldering the circuit creating a break) this solved the iPad charging sound problem and also the charging problem. Basicly the dock is fine its the 'fake' cable that came with it thatis a piece of s**t.

Hope this helps :)

Most reactions