What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Problems(?) after resetting my pc

rkayd

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I resetup my Windows 7 computer so had to also resetup iTunes. I got my iPhone synced (it deleted apps that I had purchased since my last sync but I didn't lose anything major). I don't want this to happen to my iPad, though. Is there any way around this? I transferred purchases from my iPad but when I choose to sync my apps in iTunes it says everything will be erased and replaced with the new library (the same as what happened with my iPhone). Since I transferred the purchases already will there be any problem with this or will it still delete some potentially important things?

Or is there some other way to back up my iPad without iTunes. I know there are other programs that can manage media libraries but it seems like none of them handle apps and user files. FYI my iPad is jailbroken. Will that make any difference? Will I lose my apps from Cydia if I chose to sync to iTunes?

graywolf

iPF Noob
Reaction score
rkayd said:
I resetup my Windows 7 computer so had to also resetup iTunes. I got my iPhone synced (it deleted apps that I had purchased since my last sync but I didn't lose anything major). I don't want this to happen to my iPad, though. Is there any way around this? I transferred purchases from my iPad but when I choose to sync my apps in iTunes it says everything will be erased and replaced with the new library (the same as what happened with my iPhone). Since I transferred the purchases already will there be any problem with this or will it still delete some potentially important things?

Or is there some other way to back up my iPad without iTunes. I know there are other programs that can manage media libraries but it seems like none of them handle apps and user files. FYI my iPad is jailbroken. Will that make any difference? Will I lose my apps from Cydia if I chose to sync to iTunes?

No way. If you reinstalled windows, its gone. I just recently reinstalled win 7 and installed win xp to dual boot. When i installed win 7, it took all of the files from old windows and put them in a folder in documents called windows.old. Check in there for the iTunes database and open that, that way you won't have to restore.

OP
R

rkayd

iPF Noob
Reaction score
No, I'm not looking for an old backup. I concerned about the current situation. Because it's a new library will anything be erased off my current iPad if I sync it with my 'new' iTunes library? I'm not wanting to restore my iPad, I'm wanting to back it up without losing anything important in the process.

graywolf

iPF Noob
Reaction score
rkayd said:
No, I'm not looking for an old backup. I concerned about the current situation. Because it's a new library will anything be erased off my current iPad if I sync it with my 'new' iTunes library? I'm not wanting to restore my iPad, I'm wanting to back it up without losing anything important in the process.

I wasn't talking about a backup. I was talking about itunes. Check this out for a better explanation: http://lifehacker.com/#!238296/ultranewb--how-to-move-your-itunes-library-to-an-external-drive look about midway down the page under the title "Move the internal iTunes files."
If you are on a brand new iTunes it will make you erase all the data on the iPad.

Last edited:
OP
R

rkayd

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'm a little confused now. It didn't delete everything from my iPhone when I synced it. It seemed like it only deleted the apps that were installed since my last sync. I should say that I still have my apps in my iTunes library that was on a different drive than Windows. When I reinstalled iTunes I just directed it to my old iTunes folder on my other drive. I had to drag all my music and apps into iTunes to update the library.

I'm just not sure which apps I've installed since my last sync, so don't know which ones to take note of if I have to reenter information. Or would it work to download the missing apps in iTunes before syncing?

f4780y

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I moved you over to "general discussions" so you might get some additional help from the general populous...

graywolf

iPF Noob
Reaction score
rkayd said:
I'm a little confused now. It didn't delete everything from my iPhone when I synced it. It seemed like it only deleted the apps that were installed since my last sync. I should say that I still have my apps in my iTunes library that was on a different drive than Windows. When I reinstalled iTunes I just directed it to my old iTunes folder on my other drive. I had to drag all my music and apps into iTunes to update the library.

I'm just not sure which apps I've installed since my last sync, so don't know which ones to take note of if I have to reenter information. Or would it work to download the missing apps in iTunes before syncing?

When you plug into iTunes, now that you pointed it to the old whatever, it will transfer any purchases since last sync. So you are good to go now!

OP
R

rkayd

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks, that's what I thought. I just wanted to be more sure. I will try to figure out before hand if there is anything important that I may have to re-enter in case it does delete something.

Most reactions

Latest posts