What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Problems after ios 7 upgrade

Dallas612

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Since my iOS 7 upgrade all my numbers spreadsheets that I created are missing. Any solutions?

willerz2

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Probably because the update shifted the file directories from one directory to either a temporary one, or the new Numbers directory had changed.

Make a backup of your device, and extract it using iExplorer or iBackupBot and see if the saved Numbers file is still there. If it is, reallocate them to the proper directory, and restore the backup.

It's a slightly lengthy and crude process, but if the cached files are there, it'll be usable again and will show up

Sent from my iPhone via Tapatalk

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
If you were using iCloud to store/sync the files, go to icloud.com on a computer and see if they are still there. If you want to be extra safe, copy them to the computer fomr there. Actually, a really good idea, since I've seen the iWorks apps decide to reset/erase documents in the cloud when re-initiallized. Not often, but once or twice.

Now go to Settings > Numbers and see if the Use iCloud settings got turned off.

Alos, Check Settings > iCloud to make sure Documents and Data is turned on.

OP
Dallas612

Dallas612

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I went to settings and both were turned off. I turned both back on and turned on restore, then opened numbers and watched as all were restored. After as much time as I put into creating those files, I am so happy. I thank you soooooo much.

Dallas

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
No problem. Glad to help.

I also use Box.com (the free account) to save off my more important iWorks documents. Box has a WebDAV server, so you can use the WebDAV create and save options. It takes a few extra seconds when you are done updating a document, but well worth the peace of mind. And Box saves versions, so you can roll back that last edit.

You can also use DropBox via the OpenIn options. A couple more steps, but if you already have the account.

I mention this because I have had all my iWorks files disappear form both the iPad and iCloud. It was a glitch on the servers, and while tech support could have (eventually) restored my documents, being able to restore them myself was much faster. And if I had not had Apple Care, and free tech support, it could have cost money. Though I don't think it would have, being their fault.

On a positive note the tech upgraded me to a 50GB iCloud account and extended it a year. I don't care about the size. I don't/won't use that much, but an extra free year was nice.

The rule of backups. Important files must be stored in at least two places, preferably three. One on the device, one off the device, and one at a different physical location. If you're lazy (and I often am) a cloud storage site like DropBox or Box can be the last two. iCloud does not count, because it's syncing nature means that changes on one device get transmitted to the second device, and iCloud itself, very quickly. A deleted file on the iPad quickly becomes deleted everywhere.

Most reactions

Latest posts