What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Problem with Safari

Spindlewoody

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Tim

Can you please help (I have posted this on an old thread as well). I am trying to open Safari but everything is greyed out below the search bars. I can type a search option which comes up below but can't do anythng else as the greyed out part won't allow anything. The saved web pages are also inaccessible. Many thanks in advance

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I would try terminating the app entirely. Double tap the Home button to open the multi-task bar, then press any icon until they all start to jiggle. Then touch the upper left hand corner of the Safari icon to close it completely. Now close the multi-task bar by pressing the Home button and try again and see if this fixes the problem.

Tim

OP
S

Spindlewoody

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks for that. Ironically it seems to have sorted itsef out but I'll keep your suggestion for next time.

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Great to hear! Electronics and gremlins always go together. If computers were not so much trouble I'd be out of a job!

Tim

OP
S

Spindlewoody

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi Tim
I wonder fi you can help me with another problem please? Since I moved to New Zealand, I have discontinued two of my UK email addresses but want to add another one into the mix (my NZ one). Would you be kind enough to guide me through the process of adding the new one please?

Thanks

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
'Settings', 'Mail, Contacts, Calendar', 'Accounts', 'Add New Account'

From then on it will depend on the Service Provider - so you'll have to establish the details (separately) for incoming and outgoing mail.

Incoming mail is usually handled by the legacy email protocol POP (Post Office Protocol) or the newer IMAP protocol. For sure, on the iPad, IMAP is better because any folders you have on your email server will be replicated on the iPad. Using POP it's not possible to create new email folders on the iPad. Your service provider should tell you the details of the various settings you need to enter when you sign up. It's not possible for me to know these, of course.

For outgoing mail the protocol is SMTP (Simple Mail Transfer Protocol). If you plan on sending emails from a network that is not your 'home' network, you want to check to see if your service provider supports SSL - a secure way of sending mail. If they don't, you're likely to come across the infamous Port 25 relay problem and its implication is that, without SSL, you won't be able to send emails while you're away from your home network (it might possibly work on 3G if the cellular service provider is the same as your email provider). So check to see if SSL is supported. 'Plain vanilla' SMTP doesn't require a login or password, so most service providers don't allow you to send mail from their SMTP server when you're away from home because they can't verify your identity and you could send an email claiming to the anyone at all and they have no way of checking that.

With SSL you have to login first of all - using your email address and your email password - the same ones you used for POP or IMAP. Then they can verify your address and you'll be good to go.

Tim

Most reactions

Latest posts