What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Problem with Photos app on iPad 2

Maggie2011

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Problem with Photos app on iPad 2:
I have imported some pictures from my iDisk online storage to Photos on my iPad 2, but they all go into one album called "camera roll."
How can I separate them into separate folders?

Thank you, Maggie2011

Sent from my iPad using iPF

Last edited by a moderator:

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Hi, Maggie -

I moved your question/problem to it's own thread here in the Help section of the forum.

The reason is because it's against forum rules to ask a completely off-topic question in someone else's post (it's called thread-jacking/hijacking); it's also rather bad manners.

So, if you have a question, don't hesitate to start your own thread. It'll help keep everyone sorted as to whom to address their answers.

Thanks.

Marilyn

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Hi Maggie and welcome to the forum - :)

I'm also just starting to learn about the Photo App that comes w/ the iPad - seems like many images end up in the 'Camera Roll' - :confused:

One way (and there are likely others that hopefully more experienced posters will comment) is to set up 'photo folders' on you computer that is used to sync w/ iTunes - these folders can then be imported into the iPad - maybe not ideal but give that option a try to see if it works for you?

Again, I hope this thread generates more pertinent posts that may help both of us - :)

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Sorry to have moved you over here and then run off ...

A lot of people have posted that they have trouble with the stock Photos app and iTunes. Even if they get it down so things are "just so," there are so many things to be careful of. Full disclosure: iTunes kind of scares me when it comes to my photos. I'm not too comfortable with it, TBH.

So, I use the app Photo-Sort (from the App Store, $1.99 (USD)). It allows you to make folders (and folders within folders), rename both photos and folders, easily transfer back and forth between the computer and the iPad and generally, provide for a very easy-to-use interface.

There are many other sorting apps at the Apple Store. This just happens to be the one that I've found to work for me.

Of course, you may find iTunes to be more to your liking to help you manage your photos. Since I don't use it - I'll leave the explanations of how to manage to those who'll be along shortly to help. Suits?

Hope this helps.

Marilyn

P.S. And welcome to the forum!

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
The Photos app is very limited as a photo organizer. It is adequate if all you want are some family pictures to show off, but for serious organization, editing, and management it's a failure.

Still, it is the only way to make pictures available to other apps, so it must be used now and then.

Marilyn's suggestion of Photo-Sort is a good one, if you need something more than what Photos offers. But if you just want those few photos in albums to show the family and friends, here is how to use iTunes to create and sync albums on your iPad in the Photos app.

iPhone, iPad and iPod touch: Syncing photos via iTunes

If you have any other questions, or need clarification, feel free to ask.

Edit: Fixed incorrect app name.

Last edited:

Plainsman

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Aren't Photo-Sort and Photo-Synch are two different programs?

Plainsman

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'm always looking for better ways to handle images and so I just purchased Photo-Sort and tried to connect its "FTP server" to my laptop. (It uses the same address as Photo-Synch.) It refuses to connect, hanging halfway thru the address. Anybody know what I'm doing wrong? Marilyn?

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Plainsman said:
Aren't Photo-Sort and Photo-Synch are two different programs?

Oops. My mistake. They are different apps, and do very different things. I was typing fast (for me) and didn't catch my mistake. I'll go back and fix it.

OP
M

Maggie2011

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks to all of you for yogur suggestions, which I will use. I plan to use the iPad photo
apps to give a brief introduction to my PhotoArt web site and two personal and family sites
on Shutterfly, and for my own enjoyment. For editing and cataloging, I use
Lightroom and Photoshop on my Mac Pro Desktop with its massive power and storage.

The iPad 2 screen is so beautiful, it makes a luscious presentation, so using it to have a portable
display of some photos and art work is a bonus I had not expected

I made a discovery yesterday about showing slideshows of photos. Shutterfly )a free online
application for non'copyrighted pictures. For me, it solved the problema of Flash not working
on the iPad 2. It has a free iPad app to show slideshows of online picture albums within
Shutterly )as long as you are connected to the internet.

iPad 2 is an amazing machine, and there is so much to discover in it.

Maggie2011

Sent from my iPad using iPF

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
@Plainsman (and anyone else who's interested):

First, this took me a bit to answer because once I had it working for me - I forgot what I did; had to relearn it! Note that I am using a Windows 7 64-bit PC.

I apologize if any of this is too simplified. I am going to go step-by-step to show what I did to get this to show as a mapped network on my PC. I did this through Windows Explorer because when I try to use the ftp:// address through my web browser (Firefox) - it hangs for me also (they are on the same WiFi network, but still, no go). So, anyway, here we go...

Click Start > Computer [to open Windows Explorer]

In the address field, type the ftp:// address Photo-Sort gives you when you press the WiFi symbol

It should open the Photo-Sort app so you can see all your folders/pictures

That's the main way I get in. Now, to map that address so that you can treat it like another folder/drive on your PC (when the Photo-Sort FTP server is enabled). Makes it much faster/convenient...

Still in Windows Explorer (at the C: prompt)

Right click on the Computer [line] in the left column; select "Add a network location"

Follow the wizard instructions. You're choosing to make a custom network location, use the whole ftp:// address Photo-Sort provides you, choose to log on anonymously and then choose a name for your "folder." Keep clicking ok and then finish. The folder will open and look like the picture I've added here (you can also see my "real" Photo-Sort folder, in addition to the test one I created for this post).

Photo-SortExample.png

Now, whenever you want, you can start the FTP server, open that folder on your PC and copy/cut/paste photos back and forth. It's very fast and very handy.

The ability to create this FTP folder on my PC is why I truly enjoy using Photo-Sort. With it's ability to create folders all day long (sub folders too), plus this easy transferability setup ... it's got iTunes beat all day long. But, as I'm ascairt of iTunes, YMMV! :)

Hopefully, I've answered your question? I tend to ramble - so please let me know if I've strayed away from your problem.

Marilyn

Plainsman

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thank you, Marilyn, for all the trouble you went to to create those helpful instructions. I'm on a Mac so will have to noodle around a bit 'til I find the magic bullet.

(I had to chuckle at your description of forgetting "how something is done"! Seems to be the story of my life! So many programs, so many protocols! I can't begin to keep them straight in my head.)

Plainsman

iPF Noob
Reaction score
OK. I managed to get the FTP program on the iPad to connect to my MacBook. The MacBook screen shows the two folder I had created within Photo-Sort on the iPad using pix I already had aboard. But it doesn't show anything else. When I click in the "up to higher level directory' (which I assume would give me access to my desktop and folders containing images) I get a message that says "Alert! 550 CWD failed." (I have no idea what a '550 CWD' is.) Tried it several times, always with the same failure notice.

Most reactions

Latest posts