What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Problem with lock screen

byrnea

iPF Noob
Reaction score
None seen this?
The power button single press isn't working, but the button itself clearly is I.e. A long press works and asks if I want to shut down. Also, the lock screen function in assistive touch isn't working, but a long press on that gives me the option to switch off. I have a Smart Cover and the magnet on that doesn't lock the screen any more.

What the hell is going on?

:-/

OP
B

byrnea

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have ipad 2 and iOS 7.
I am not sure if the problem relates to the iOS 7 upgrade. It might.
It's clear though, as neither the soft or hardware options for lock screen are working, it must be an OS issue, right?
I did read about it on other forum but there was no reply, but others are having the issue.

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
I have ipad 2 and iOS 7.
I am not sure if the problem relates to the iOS 7 upgrade. It might.
It's clear though, as neither the soft or hardware options for lock screen are working, it must be an OS issue, right?
I did read about it on other forum but there was no reply, but others are having the issue.

None seen this?
The power button single press isn't working, but the button itself clearly is I.e. A long press works and asks if I want to shut down. Also, the lock screen function in assistive touch isn't working, but a long press on that gives me the option to switch off. I have a Smart Cover and the magnet on that doesn't lock the screen any more.

Hello & welcome to the forum! :) Does the same problem exist w/ the power button when 'assistive touch' is deactivated? Also, I would suggest removing the smart cover and then 'Resetting' the iPad, if not already done (directions quoted below) - if effective, then replace the cover to see if the magnet now locks the screen. If not helpful, then please post back here - good luck! Dave

Reset - press & hold the 'Power' and 'Home' buttons simultaneously until the Apple logo appears - this may take a longer time, so have patience; the iPad will 're-boot' - NOTE that none of these maneuvers will alter your apps, files, or settings.

LannyC

iPad Fan
Reaction score
I suspect the original Smart Covers are starting to fail now. A friend relies on one to put his iPad to sleep, and last week his battery drained to zero overnight.

This post handcrafted from 100 percent post-consumer recycled electrons.

OP
B

byrnea

iPF Noob
Reaction score
sorry i have been away but this problem is still there. it has nothing to do with assistive touch or Smart Cover. the function to power into standby simply is not there, either via short press power button (though long press does give me full power off), via Smart Cover or other magnet, or via assistive touch. this is strange

thanks

OP
B

byrnea

iPF Noob
Reaction score
sorry, i properly read the advice from Giradman and it has fixed my problem. Switched off the lock screen option and powered off the iPad. Thank you

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Glad to hear it's sorted. Thanks for telling us (and anyone looking for a solution to the same problem) that it's fixed. Always good to hear back, especially the success stories. :)

Marilyn

Most reactions

Latest posts