What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Problem with Goodreader sending pdf files

G

Grytpype

When I email a pdf file using Goodreader, it fails to appear on IE 8 (you just get small box with a red X in it). This happens with files I have annotated in Goodreader and also with unedited files that I have just saved to the Goodreader folder using the "open in" facility.

Is this a software issue, or have I been doing something wrong?

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
With which e-mail program are you opening those e-mails containing the PDF file? Is any other e-mail program seeing the e-mails okay? What about the stock/default Mail app on the iPad, does that work?

From you description, I can't tell if it's your browser or your e-mail account that causing the problem (thus the questions). May I suggest you try a different browser or a different e-mail program to try to narrow down the problem. I don't know why it would be happening but it sounds as if it's a problem with IE8 or your e-mail account on their side, not the iPad. So, if you try different counts, you can attempt to eliminate some variables.

Sorry I'm not of better assistance. Good luck and do let us know how you get on.

Marilyn

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
This is probably too obvious, but I say it anyway, because I specialize in obvious.

Make certain the PDF file has the .pdf extension.

Also, somewhere in IE 8's settings/preferences there will be assignments for what the browser does with each file type (extension). Do a little digging and make sure that the .pdf extension is assigned a suitable app or plugin.

OP
G

Grytpype

Thanks for the input.

I'm using MS Outlook on my PC. I duplicated the problem just now by sending a PDF by email from my iPad to myself. It appears OK on the iPad (as both sent and received) but on the PC it just appears as a small box with a red 'X' in it. It does have the .pdf extension in GoodReader.

I don't think it has anything to do with IE8 as it doesn't go through that – it just goes via the email send/receive process. I was overseas a little while back and I had to send a copy of a pdf file to someone back home. I tried several things but they couldn't open or read it. Eventually I took a screenshot of it and sent it as a photo, which was better than nothing.

It wasn't a big deal and I didn't think anything more about it until just the other day when I needed to send something again. That reminded me, so I posted this thread. I'm puzzled!

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
So am I. Puzzled, that is. I've never had any problems with GoodReader and sending PDF files.

Is there a specific source for these PDF files, or have you tried a range of PDF files from different sites/places?

If you have DropBox you could try uploading the PDF, then emailing the share link. I'd be curious to see if you can download and use the PDF that way.

OP
G

Grytpype

Is there a specific source for these PDF files, or have you tried a range of PDF files from different sites/places?
Some are PDFs I've copied from elsewhere and stored in the GR filing system (user manuals etc); others are converted from DOC or other files on my PC or created by other people using a variety of PDF writing software. Some are annotated by me using GR, or merged/edited using PDF splicer; others are unchanged from original.

If you have DropBox you could try uploading the PDF, then emailing the share link. I'd be curious to see if you can download and use the PDF that way.
That's a great idea! I do use DropBox. I have a GR > DB sync that I set up which works very well. I'm not near my PC right now to check, but I'll email something now and check it on the PC later. It could turn out to be a solution. Thanks for that idea!

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
No problem. I'd offer to dig into it further, but I don't have IE 8, or even Windows to play with.

Well, there is the netbook. I dig it out once in a while, but just to boot into Ubuntu and run EtherApe.

OP
G

Grytpype

This is looking really promising. I haven't used Dropbox to send files before, and it's very easy, especially as the folder structure there mirrors what I have on GR, as a result of the sync I set up.

When you use the iPad and DropBox to email a file, it is sent as a link, not an attachment. That is a big plus right there, as it cuts down on the size of the email (no bulky attachment) so it goes instantly. The link appears to be a unique one created by DB; it's nice and compact, rather like a tinyurl link, instead of a big clumsy thing several lines long. Looks like a very good system.

I sent myself a large and complicated PDF and opened the link on my iPad. The DB interface appears with the file visible and readable, and there's a download button. That's on my iPad, and there's no reason I can think of why it shouldn't appear just the same in IE8 on my PC. I'll check that later.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
DropBox is extremely popular with iOS users, for pretty much the reasons you outlined.

I also use a free Box.com account. It has WebDAV, which means it works with the iWorks apps. It is also easier to share entire folders. But id does not have a desktop folder syncing app. You have to use the web browser; at least on the Mac. I think they have a better Windows solution.

Between the two services there isn't a whole lot you can't do; once you get used to having your files in the cloud. ;)

OP
G

Grytpype

I just checked out the Dropbox links I sent to my PC and they work perfectly. Sending a link with DB rather than an attachment with GoodReader is definitely the way to go.

Many thanks for your help, Mr. Poet!

rwarren4

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hold on, though, I send .pdfs from my Goodreader because I organize my files on Goodreader. I don't want to have to make a link to my Dropbox. Goodreader is supposed to be able to send .pdfs which can be read from the other end and right now that's not happening in some cases. People write back and say that there were no attachments included in my message even though (on my ipad anyway) I can see the attachment staring back at me in their reply. This doesn't happen with exported .pdfs sent via Pages or PDF Converter but I don't organize my files in those apps. I would love to know if I need to tweak something in Goodreader Settings because short of the problem of sending .pdfs I find Goodreader to be an excellent and useful app. Can somebody help?

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
I'm not aware of any setting you could change in GoodReader that would make a difference.

I recommend going too the developer's site for GoodReader and checking out their troubleshooting link. If that does not work try the Support link at the top and ask your question. They have a good reputation for being responsive to customer needs and feedback.

The other possibility is to combine GoodReader and DropBox. It is possible to set up GoodReader to sync one or more folders with DropBox. This way you could use the organizing features and local storage of GoodReader and still use a share link in DropBox when needed.

Most reactions

Latest posts