What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Problem with ebooks

vlacocabios`

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hello. I have a problem concerning ebooks and ebook readers on my device. I have added a number of epubs and pdfs via the iTunes software to my ipad, and i have downloaded from the store a couple of ebook readers, namely xodo pdf and acrobat digital edition . However even though the native reader- ibooks- can find the books just fine, the other readers cannot find them. Anyone else had that problem??? iBooks is a fine app, but i 'd like to have more options!!!

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Ebooks you buy through iTunes can only be stored and read in iBooks. If you want more freedom in where to read your ebooks, you can purchase from Amazon, which allows you to read your ebooks on Kindle readers and any device supported by the Kindle app.

Last edited:

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Just a caution - if you buy books from Amazon, you will only be able to read them with the Amazon app, just like you can only read books purchased from Apple on iBooks. Both sellers install proprietary software called DRM (digital rights management) into their books to restrict you to the specific device/app.

In addition, the Amazon reading app will only allow you to read books in Amazon format (.mobi) while iBooks can't read .mobi (only .ebub). They both can read .pdf and text.

What your underlying issue is the DRM. As long as the books are "locked down," you can only read in the app for which they were bought. Welcome to publisher/seller attempts to prevent piracy. Not helpful in trying to read books on other platforms/software.

Marilyn

OP
V

vlacocabios`

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thank you for your answer! The point is, i didn't purchase the ebooks from iTunes, they were already in my pc hard drive , and i synced them into the ipad with iTunes.

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Ah, I see.

When you sync the books with iTunes/your iPad, they are automatically going to be put into iBooks; it's the way iTunes works. So no, once they are in iBooks on your iPad, they won't be found or seen by other e-reading apps on your iPad. Each app is closed off from the others, that's why you can't find the books in iBooks with your other apps.

So, you'll have to get the books into the other apps another way. You can use iTunes to see if those other reading apps can allow "side-loading" of books. Do do, scroll to the bottom to see if any of your reading apps have a place where you can drag and drop those books (on your PC) into them. Then, once you sync with iTunes, the books should be there.

Or, if the books are on your PC, you could try emailing them to yourself or putting them into cloud storage. Then, you can use the other reading app "Open In" function to get those books loaded in the other app.

Sorry for the confusion.

Marilyn

OP
V

vlacocabios`

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Ah, I see.

When you sync the books with iTunes/your iPad, they are automatically going to be put into iBooks; it's the way iTunes works. So no, once they are in iBooks on your iPad, they won't be found or seen by other e-reading apps on your iPad. Each app is closed off from the others, that's why you can't find the books in iBooks with your other apps.

So, you'll have to get the books into the other apps another way. You can use iTunes to see if those other reading apps can allow "side-loading" of books. Do do, scroll to the bottom to see if any of your reading apps have a place where you can drag and drop those books (on your PC) into them. Then, once you sync with iTunes, the books should be there.

Or, if the books are on your PC, you could try emailing them to yourself or putting them into cloud storage. Then, you can use the other reading app "Open In" function to get those books loaded in the other app.

Sorry for the confusion.

Marilyn

Thank you very much for that!!! I am new to the iOS , and i have no idea how the file structure system works, i have been using windows for years now. Now, when you say i should try to drag and drop with iTunes, can i do that in other apps, i mean they are going to show there??? As for cloud storage, i take it that means only icloud, correct???
Onedrive isn't going to work???

Again, thank you

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Once you connect your iPad to iTunes, click on the iPad icon (at the top left), then click on "Apps" in the list on the left. You will then see all the apps loaded on your iPad.

Scroll down that page until you see a list of apps that will allow you to side-load data. Hopefully, one or all of your e-reading apps will be in that list. If they are, you can either copy/paste or drag/drop your eBooks from wherever you have them on your computer. Once the items are showing as being in the app, or you are finished moving books over, you can tap the "Sync" or "Apply" button in the lower right of iTunes (I forget which button will show - and I'm not in from of iTunes...).

By the cloud, I mean any cloud storage such as iCloud, Dropbox, etc. anyplace you can place those books so that you can access them within the e-reading app of your choice.

Hope this clarifies better.

Marilyn

Most reactions

Latest posts