What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Problem with downloading and updating large and medium apps.

OP
Ser Aphim

Ser Aphim

iPF Novice
Reaction score
image.jpg

Is this good or bad?

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
What the?!

Well how many hours can a game like Infinity Blade 3 will take to finish?

If IB3 is a 1GB app (it is likely larger than this), then by rough calculations using your download speed of 0.26Mbps (that's megabits per second) it would take 7.82 hours to download the file. On my wifi, it would take about 4 minutes. Assuming got the math right. I didn't spend much time on it.

OP
Ser Aphim

Ser Aphim

iPF Novice
Reaction score
If IB3 is a 1GB app (it is likely larger than this), then by rough calculations using your download speed of 0.26Mbps (that's megabits per second) it would take 7.82 hours to download the file. On my wifi, it would take about 4 minutes. Assuming got the math right. I didn't spend much time on it.

Phew that is a relief. So basically it may be possible it would take 12 hours? Hmm. Well that is actually fine for me. But to see how slow my wi-fi is oh my god.

So basically Infinity Blade 3 is 1.2 on the app store. Bu when I last downloaded it it was 2.2 GB. Then it may be possible it could take 16 hours for it to finish? So basically I am be expecting it to finish downloading tomorrow morning or afternoon.

Also thank you guys for your help!

Last edited:

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I don't know how good your Internet connection is for your computer (the one that has your iTunes account), but, given those download speeds, may I suggest you do as J.A. recommends: download the apps to your iTunes and then sync them over to your iPad.

Even if the download to your computer/iTunes is just as slow, at least it can be running in the background while you do something else...

Marilyn

OP
Ser Aphim

Ser Aphim

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I don't know how good your Internet connection is for your computer (the one that has your iTunes account), but, given those download speeds, may I suggest you do as J.A. recommends: download the apps to your iTunes and then sync them over to your iPad.

Even if the download to your computer/iTunes is just as slow, at least it can be running in the background while you do something else...

Marilyn

It gets worse. Wi-fi on my laptop is hell. You have to be like, lucky if iTunes show up. Really the reason why I love my iPad is because it does things better except in productivity.

A few years back my Wi-fi was fine but now its hell. I don't think i can download it form iTunes especially that my laptop is like unoperational. Its very slow. A windows laptop.

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
What kind of internet service are you paying for? There should be some statement about bandwidth both down and up. Down is what counts most of the time for typical home users. If you are routinely not getting what you are paying for, you should take that up with your provider to make sure there isn't a hidden problem that is preventing you from getting your due. Keep in mind that for some services your download speeds are heavily affected by time of day -- like in the evenings people in your neighborhood are all watching Netflix (as an example) so all the bandwidth in that location is sucked up. So, it might be better in cases like this to start your downloads late at night when everyone nearby is sleeping.

hepette

iPF Noob
Reaction score
when I try to download a game or something ---the circle just keeps going around and around...I am 65 and puter illiterate. how do I sync my ipad2 with my laptop? where is the search box on my ipad2? I am trying to teach myself but seem to be a poor student.

OP
Ser Aphim

Ser Aphim

iPF Novice
Reaction score
What kind of internet service are you paying for? There should be some statement about bandwidth both down and up. Down is what counts most of the time for typical home users. If you are routinely not getting what you are paying for, you should take that up with your provider to make sure there isn't a hidden problem that is preventing you from getting your due. Keep in mind that for some services your download speeds are heavily affected by time of day -- like in the evenings people in your neighborhood are all watching Netflix (as an example) so all the bandwidth in that location is sucked up. So, it might be better in cases like this to start your downloads late at night when everyone nearby is sleeping.

So basically wi-fi conmection is also affected by people who are using the same provider of wi-fi?

If that is true I guess that could explain my spontaneous decrease of speed of my wi-fi connection (Christmas vacation) So basically I was downloading Infinity Blade 3 overnight. It never made 50%. i think to be honest it merely made like 20% - 25%?

It may take 4 days for this to finish downloading, or maybe tommorow.

OP
Ser Aphim

Ser Aphim

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I gave up but left Infinity Blade 3 to download. It seems that the new update has caused a lot of problems with players. I guess that is ok since I lost my progress anyway.

I checked the app store and found out that angry birds star wars 2 is the app of the week. To my surprise it downloaded pretty fast. Under 5 to 10 minutes.

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Check your wifi speed again from time to time...that snapshot you took before may only be temporary and your speeds maybe faster!

OP
Ser Aphim

Ser Aphim

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Check your wifi speed again from time to time...that snapshot you took before may only be temporary and your speeds maybe faster!

My wifi speed is getting fast. I just see a big boost in the download speed if Infinity Blade 3. Its now 25%

OP
Ser Aphim

Ser Aphim

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Good. Where in the world are you located?

Philippnes.

And also, it failed. When it was already in 50%.

I want it really bad. I lost my progress because it won't download I never got this problem since I had problems trying to connect to my wi-fi connection.

When I download other apps it is fine. Its fast. But when its Infinity Blade 3, I have problems downloading it. I am starting to believe the problem is in the app. Not in the wi-fi connection.

Most reactions

Latest posts