What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

problem with camera connection kit

burntofferings

iPF Noob
Reaction score
i got my ipad 2 in may version 4.3.3 - and my husband got his in aug 4.3.5
i synced his to my PC without issue so we could share apps and it worked.

the camera connection kit (sd card slot and usp) both work fine on his but not on mine. (i had never tried it until he put all of our pics on his)

thinking it was a version issue, i just today synced mine with my i tunes to update my version to 4.3.5 - the update went fine - but the connection kit still doesn't work on mine.
for the record - i charge my ipad though a wall outlet (never through my PC) - so it's not a damaged port.

when i first got mine - a tech friend - who sinced moved away - set up my itunes accout and synced my ipad to it -(my PC is windows 7 64 bit) - and after he did that in the photos of my ipad 2 are two albums - the Camera Roll and another "album" called ipad2 backup which i somehow think is the problem. i cannot delete this ipad2 backup album from my ipad and i can't even find the album in i tunes.

however on my PC in photos I did find the 2 photo albums one is called ipad2 backup -the other is ipod photo cache but i don't know which if any to delete.

sorry for the long post but i think it's best to give you all the info i know.
i'm not the most computer savvy person, so your help would be greatly appreciated.

and i just realized i don't know where an answer to this post would appear!

Last edited:

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Well, that was a long post - ;):D

I have the CCK (i.e. camera connection kit) and used the SD card plug-in to import images into my iPad2 (iOs v. 4.3.4) w/o a problem - so just starting w/ one of your queries, i.e. why the CCK does not work on your iPad2?

I would first suggest (if not already done) that you first restart your iPad and if not of help, then reset the iPad - DIRECTIONS HERE - then try the CCK w/ the SD card from your digital camera to import images - please report back the results here?

Good luck - :)

OP
B

burntofferings

iPF Noob
Reaction score
hi - i already did all that to no avail (the CCK works perfectly on my husbands ipad 2)

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
hi - i already did all that to no avail (the CCK works perfectly on my husbands ipad 2)

Hmm - that is weird - not sure that I have an explanation since this likely has little if anything to do w/ your other questions - :confused:

First, make sure that you did both a restart AND a reset, the latter has brought back my iPad after a restart did not work - just double checking, so sorry if you have done both.

Second, if the above still does not work; if available in your locale, I would take the iPad in question into an Apple Store along w/ the CCK and your digital camera and have them check it out - maybe others will have some more suggestions - good luck! :)

OP
B

burntofferings

iPF Noob
Reaction score
i know the CCK and the digital camera work since it works great on the other ipad.

what i really need to know is how to delete (on my ipad) a photo album called ipad 2 backup (which just showed up on it after my ipad was synced to my computer) - there is no delete option for either the album or the individual photos in - like there is on the camera roll album.

and i think this is part of the problem.

OP
B

burntofferings

iPF Noob
Reaction score
i wanted to thank you for your help and let you know that i was able to delete the ipad backup album from my ipad through itunes.

however after rebooting - restarting - the CCK still doesn't work on mine - only works on my husbands - very frustrated!

any other thoughts would be appreciated!

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
burntofferings said:
i wanted to thank you for your help and let you know that i was able to delete the ipad backup album from my ipad through itunes.

however after rebooting - restarting - the CCK still doesn't work on mine - only works on my husbands - very frustrated!

any other thoughts would be appreciated!

You are welcome.

Your CCK problem won't be because of 4.3.5 itself. That revision works fine with the adaptor. It is eather going to be problem with the hardware, or something in the update went wrong.

I can not remember if I suggested a reset as well as the restart. I am using the IPF app, and it is a pain to check post history while editing. If not give that a try first.

Reset: Hold down the power and home buttons until the Apple logo appears. The iPad will reboot. This usually takes a bit longer than a restart.

Your next measure is a restore. This will whipe the iPad clean, so make sure you have a good backup and have any documents or media saved in iTunes, or elsewhere first.

And finally, If the iPad is still under warrantee call apple tech support.

OP
B

burntofferings

iPF Noob
Reaction score
when i bought my ipad 2 in may - the apple store (or any other store) didn't have any - so i got it at Sam's club. i also bought a 3 year warranty there but it didn't cover dropping it. so then i bought a second 2 year warranty from Square Trade because they cover everything. my iPad is over 90 days old now - so i don't believe it has any Apple coverage.

question: if i do a restore - will the other iPad that i bought for my husband lose any info, pictures, or apps he has on his?
i ask because, when i bought it for my husband, i didn't know how to set it up for him, so i synced it with my PC, so his iPad has the same name as my iPad. i didn't know how to give his iPad it's own name.

also, after i do a restore (which i don't know how to do - is it difficult), do i sync my ipad back to my PC again, to get my apps and camera roll photos back?

as you can see i'm not very computer savvy (which is why i'm lost without my tech guy) and these questions sound dumb to even me! (sorry)

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Your iPad comes with a 1 year limited hardware warrantee from Apple. Doesn't matter where it was purchased from. If it turns out to be a hardware problem, it's covered. The 90 days is only for free tech support.

Sounds like the 3 year coverage you got from Sam's Club may be the Apple Protection plan. If it is then you also have 3 years of tech support from Apple. Check your plan.

Since you are uncomfortable doing the restore yourself, use Apple's tech support if it turns out you do have the coverage.

Restoring your iPad will have no effect on the other iPad. iTunes is smart enough to know they are different devices.

Save all important files off the iPad before restoring. You may be able to recover them with a restore from backup afterwards, but don't take a chance. Before you restore, make sure you get a good backup in iTunes. This will give you the best chance of getting your iPad back in order with the minimum of fuss.

Backing up in iTunes is easy. It does one every time you sync. Before you do the last backup, right click on the iPad in iTunes and choose Transfer Purchases. You can force a backup the same way.

When you are ready and sure all you important files are saved either in iTunes or elsewhere, all you have to do to restore is choose Restore from the summary page. When it is finished your iPad will look exactly like it did when it came out of the box.

When you connect the iPad to iTunes after the restore it will want to set it up again. It should offer you a chance to restore from a backup, just like it did when you set your husband's up. Choose your backup and let it do its thing. Before you sync, go through all the sync pages and make sure they are setup the way you want.

You may end up having to do some minor tweaks to get everything back, but most of it should be fine.

OP
B

burntofferings

iPF Noob
Reaction score
1.so to do a restore - i must make sure all my apps are in iTunes and updated
2.the photos in my ipad are saved on my computer (which i did last night)
3.when i restore my apps back to my ipad - i could do this by syncing with the PC
4.and will i have to set up my email again and my wifi network and go back to verizon to set up my 3G network again

thank you so very much - you're been paitient and so very helpful - but i'm a bit terrified to do this without my tech on the other end of a phone for moral support!!!

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Yes to everything, except of all goes well you will not need to restore mail. And don't forget the backup. If you don't do it, and then restore from backup after the actual restore (don't confuse the two) you will lose any data stored in your apps. This includes files, settings, and game scores.

That may or may not be important, depending on what apps you have, and care about the content.

OP
B

burntofferings

iPF Noob
Reaction score
i spent about 4 hours on the phone with an apple tech yesterday. he tried and did everything and in the end concluded that my ipad 2 is defective - so i pick up a new one this morning. thank you for letting me know it was still under warranty. i purchased the apple care protection plan from him also so now i can rest easy!
you've been amazing -- thanks for all your help!

Most reactions

Latest posts