What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Problem with backup

fagani

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi
Every time i connect my iPad 2 to my computer, a backup process starts and it runs for some minutes. How can i avoid it?

Thanks
Fabio

skimonkey

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
...but don't you want your iPad backed up? It does take some time, but not too long. I do mine OTA and it takes about 15 mins.

gresh14

iPF Novice
Reaction score
skimonkey said:
...but don't you want your iPad backed up? It does take some time, but not too long. I do mine OTA and it takes about 15 mins.

I'm thinking he probably has recently backed it up and doesn't need to do another back up, I just click the little x up where it shows the syncing process and it stops it.

skimonkey

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I'm thinking he probably has recently backed it up and doesn't need to do another back up, I just click the little x up where it shows the syncing process and it stops it.

If you stop it, is your sync incomplete than?

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
iTunes Preferences, the Devices tab. You can turn off automatic sync and backup. It will also prevent iTunes from launching whenever you plug in the iPad.

skimonkey

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
iTunes Preferences, the Devices tab. You can turn off automatic sync and backup. It will also prevent iTunes from launching whenever you plug in the iPad.

So twerppoet, just for my understanding-when you are ready to sync- the backup is part of the syncing process to complete?

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
skimonkey said:
So twerppoet, just for my understanding-when you are ready to sync- the backup is part of the syncing process to complete?

By default, yes, but you can prevent it.

I'm away from my computer at the moment, but if memory serves you can turn off just the backup on the Summary screen in iTunes, or at least switch to iCloud . That will leave the auto sync in place but skip the backup.

You can also disable auto sync for individual devices Unless you turned it off in preferences as I described in the earlier post, then it is grayed out.

I prefer to turn all the auto-stuff off and do it manually. I often launch iTunes and/or connect my devices several times a day; fact checking for forum posts mostly. I don't need to do syncs or backup that much.

skimonkey

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
By default, yes, but you can prevent it.

I'm away from my computer at the moment, but if memory serves you can turn off just the backup on the Summary screen in iTunes, or at least switch to iCloud . That will leave the auto sync in place but skip the backup.

You can also disable auto sync for individual devices Unless you turned it off in preferences as I described in the earlier post, then it is grayed out.

I prefer to turn all the auto-stuff off and do it manually. I often launch iTunes and/or connect my devices several times a day; fact checking for forum posts mostly. I don't need to do syncs or backup that much.

Thank you, twerppoet-keeping this thread handy as a reference to myself and others!

Most reactions

Latest posts