What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Problem Uploading Photos From a Memory Stick

kaerophil

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I just bought an adaptor from an Apple store, which plugs into the charger slot and it has a USB socket. I am trying to upload photos from a memory stick (DataTraveler 102). When I plug it in, I get an error message which says "DataTraveler 102: The connected device requires too much power".

How can I upload those photos onto the iPad?

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
You're going to have to transfer the photos to your computer, move them into iTunes, then transfer them to your iPad. If the photos are from a digital camera, you could use the SD card from the camera with the SD card reader for the iPad.
Here's an Apple thread on it.
https://discussions.apple.com/message/22128590

OP
K

kaerophil

iPF Noob
Reaction score
You're going to have to transfer the photos to your computer, move them into iTunes, then transfer them to your iPad. If the photos are from a digital camera, you could use the SD card from the camera with the SD card reader for the iPad.
Here's an Apple thread on it.
https://discussions.apple.com/message/22128590
I tried putting the photos into iTunes, but there is no option to do so, and dragging them into the iTunes window also didn't work.

I created a DCIM directory on the memory stick and gave them all a jpg extenstion, but when I tried to upload them to the Ipad using the Apple adaptor, I got the same error message, which says there is not enough power.

So what do I do now?

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
You should also have an adaptor that allow you to plug the iPad into the camera itself. Doing so with the camera turned on 'should' stop the power problem. However, the camera might not recognize the picture files on the SD card if they've been altered.

As for iTunes, you do not copy the photos directly to iTunes. Instead you plug the iPad in, select it, choose the Photos tab, and point the sync to the folder where the pictures are. This is a sync operation, not a copy. That means that the photos can not be changed on the iPad when you do this. You have to alter the directory or your iTunes sync settings then sync again.

Unless all you want is an album of photos to show off, I do not recommend using this method.

There are a multitude of ways to copy photos to the iPad's Camera Roll from your Computer. My favorite app is PhotoSync (no hyphen). There is a free companion app for the computer to make things easier, but it's not necessary. Both the computer and iPad need to be on the same wi-fi network.

If you let us know what you want to do with the photos once they are on the iPad, we should be able to point you to better choices. Getting them into the camera roll in the Photos app is by far the easiest method, but it does not always the best path to a desired outcome.

OP
K

kaerophil

iPF Noob
Reaction score
You should also have an adaptor that allow you to plug the iPad into the camera itself. Doing so with the camera turned on 'should' stop the power problem. However, the camera might not recognize the picture files on the SD card if they've been altered.

As for iTunes, you do not copy the photos directly to iTunes. Instead you plug the iPad in, select it, choose the Photos tab, and point the sync to the folder where the pictures are. This is a sync operation, not a copy. That means that the photos can not be changed on the iPad when you do this. You have to alter the directory or your iTunes sync settings then sync again.

Unless all you want is an album of photos to show off, I do not recommend using this method.

There are a multitude of ways to copy photos to the iPad's Camera Roll from your Computer. My favorite app is PhotoSync (no hyphen). There is a free companion app for the computer to make things easier, but it's not necessary. Both the computer and iPad need to be on the same wi-fi network.

If you let us know what you want to do with the photos once they are on the iPad, we should be able to point you to better choices. Getting them into the camera roll in the Photos app is by far the easiest method, but it does not always the best path to a desired outcome.

I simply want to put the photos onto the iPad to show them to my friends & relatives. They are on a Windows 7 PC and a memory stick. They are no longer on a camera card. You say "plug the [Pad in", but do you mean to the PC or only to an Apple computer? Do I simply have to download the PhotoSync app onto the iPad, or also onto the computer? My wife has a Mac Book Pro, so would it be easier to put the photos onto that, and then onto the iPad through iTunes?

Thanks for all your help.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
I simply want to put the photos onto the iPad to show them to my friends & relatives. They are on a Windows 7 PC and a memory stick. They are no longer on a camera card. You say "plug the [Pad in", but do you mean to the PC or only to an Apple computer? Do I simply have to download the PhotoSync app onto the iPad, or also onto the computer? My wife has a Mac Book Pro, so would it be easier to put the photos onto that, and then onto the iPad through iTunes?

Thanks for all your help.

Best solution, in my opinion, given what you said you want to do.

If the iPad is on iOS 7.x, the Mac is running OS X Mavericks (10.9.xx), and you have the latest version of iPhoto; you can sync Shared Photo Stream albums using iCloud.

You would import the photos into iPhoto from the USB stick, select them, and choose the iCloud option from the share menu, then either select or create an album.

On the iPad you go to Settings > Photos and turn on Shared Photo Streams.

The photos will show up in the Photos app under the Shared tab. You generally have to open the new album before the photos will sync from iCloud, but once synced they are stored locally; available all the time.

Shared Photo Streams are designed to be shared between your devices and/or with others. The others is optional, so they can be private if you like.

If you do not already sync your iPad to a computer using iTunes, I don't really recommend you start, not just to get an album onto the iPad. iTunes will want to sync everything, and unless you get the initial settings right it will make changes. Hold in mind you're highly unlikely to lose anything permanently, but it could cost you hours, or even days to get thing back to where you started.

Instead, consider a third party app like Photo Manager Pro. It has several options for importing photos, and you can manage your albums independent of iTunes or the Photos app (though you can still copy photos back and forth between Photo Manager Pro and Photos). I do not use Photo Manger Pro myself, preferring the iCloud solution, but the app has been recommended by many forum members.

The PhotoSync app I mentioned earlier is for when you want photos to end up in the camera roll, a kind of general storage place for photos. You can use it, and then use the Photos app to move/copy photos to Shared Photo Stream albums on the iPad; but it would be tedious compared to the other methods. And you have to delete the photos out of the camera roll later to avoid duplication.

I do create and populate Shared PhotoStream albums on the iPad, but this works best when you are starting a collection and only adding a few at a time, especially if the photos were taken on the iOS device.

Most reactions

Latest posts