What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Problem trying to copy/read PDFs from PC on iPad. Out of memory?

itm

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have a few large PDF's on my PC which I want to transfer to my iPad 1 and read. Ideally I'd like to use iBooks to read them, but this app doesn't seem to support file sharing, so I tried downloading and installing PDF Reader Lite. I managed to install it in iTunes, then synced to the iPad and managed to copy 3 PDFs to this app on the iPad (about 150Mb each). When I tried to open any of the PDFs in PDF Reader Lite the screen went blank for a couple of seconds then bounced me back to the homescreen.
So I uninstalled PDF Reader Lite and tried to search for other PDF apps on the App Store directly on the iPad. I typed something into the Search box, some search results started to be displayed,then I get bounced back to the home screen. I've tried this 10 times and exactly the same thing happens - the App Store won't stay open for more than a few seconds - it gets automatically closed and I get returned to the home screen.
Could it be that the iPad is short of memory? If so, how could I tell, and what can I do about it?
Can anyone advise what to try next?

KevinJS

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Email the PDF to yourself, then "open in" iBooks. Should work without the need for additional software.

Sent from my iPad using iPF

OP
I

itm

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Email the PDF to yourself, then "open in" iBooks. Should work without the need for additional software.

Thanks for the suggestions. As each PDF is approx. 140Mb in size emailing isn't an option I'm afraid.

I tried powering down the iPad and this has resolved the problem with the App Store force closing, but I still can't open any of the 140Mb PDFs using PDF Reader Lite. ???

dmann

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Try installing Dropbox on your desktop and on your iPad. Then drop your PDFs into the Dropbox folder.mthey should appear in your app on the iPad from where you can open in iBooks. Hope this helps.

KevinJS

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Thanks for the feedback. Sorry that one didn't help.

I'm assuming you have tried dragging from Windows Explorer and dropping on your iPad in iTunes?

I've done that with .epub and .pdf files and found them in iBooks.

OP
I

itm

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks for the feedback. Sorry that one didn't help.

I'm assuming you have tried dragging from Windows Explorer and dropping on your iPad in iTunes?

I've done that with .epub and .pdf files and found them in iBooks.

I can't work out where to drag the ePub files to in iTunes - which tab/pane of the iPad "tree" do I drop onto? None that I've tried seem to be receptive to an ePub file dropped from Windows Explorer.
???

Gtatler

iPF Novice
Reaction score
itm said:
I can't work out where to drag the ePub files to in iTunes - which tab/pane of the iPad "tree" do I drop onto? None that I've tried seem to be receptive to an ePub file dropped from Windows Explorer.
???

Suggest you connect iPad to iTunes, click on the name of your iPad in the left hand tree under devices, and then open the apps tab at the top of the screen. At the bottom of the resulting screen there is a section for associating files on the computer with various apps on the iPad. Select an appropriate app, click add and find the PDF's you want to add to an app. Then re-synch.

If this is not possible because your reader app is not listed there, then why not add the file to the books section on the library tree. Then re-synch. I added over 150 full length novels and many PDF files to iBooks in no time at all. To do this open on your pc my music/iTunes/iTunes music/books. This is the folder thAt will be synced to your iPad. Add any necessary files and re-synch. They should the appear in iBooks.

Hope this helps.

OP
I

itm

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Suggest you connect iPad to iTunes, click on the name of your iPad in the left hand tree under devices, and then open the apps tab at the top of the screen. At the bottom of the resulting screen there is a section for associating files on the computer with various apps on the iPad. Select an appropriate app, click add and find the PDF's you want to add to an app. Then re-synch.

If this is not possible because your reader app is not listed there, then why not add the file to the books section on the library tree. Then re-synch. I added over 150 full length novels and many PDF files to iBooks in no time at all. To do this open on your pc my music/iTunes/iTunes music/books. This is the folder thAt will be synced to your iPad. Add any necessary files and re-synch. They should the appear in iBooks.

Hope this helps.

Thanks for the suggestion. My reader app is not listed under the File Sharing section of Apps on the iPad. Also, I'm unable to drag anything onto the Books section of the Library tree - I can drag but nothing sticks there. The same is true of the Books section of the iPad.
This is much harder than I was hoping it would be!

Gtatler

iPF Novice
Reaction score
itm said:
Thanks for the suggestion. My reader app is not listed under the File Sharing section of Apps on the iPad. Also, I'm unable to drag anything onto the Books section of the Library tree - I can drag but nothing sticks there. The same is true of the Books section of the iPad.
This is much harder than I was hoping it would be!

It's not really hard, just a bit fiddly. It is not possible to drag/drop direct to the books section of the library tree. Try copying direct to the folder on your PC as indicated above, using Windows Explorer. Open 2 copies of Explorer, one for the folder where your PDF is stored, the other as above. Drag and copy the file. Then re-synch and open your reader app. The PDF should then be available to read. I cannot imagine why the books folder is a sub-folder of my music, but it certainly is on my PC.

Note. If you are using iBooks it is possible to set up folders within the app and move (say) ebooks to one folder, PDFs to another. Makes it easier to find what you want. Of course if you drag to the top of iBooks there is a search facility which will search all of your folders.

Also I don't know if there is a limitation in size that iBooks can cope with. Your PDFs seem to be very big. What on earth can they contain? As you probably know when you close an app it actually 'goes to sleep' so that it can re-start more quickly. This does of course still use up a certain amount of internal memory. Suggest you close all apps by double tapping the start button, pressing and holding an app icon until a red minus sign appears and then deleting all the icons. This will free up memory space. Actually, I always do this regularly, at least a couple of times a day, as a matter of course. It saves having low memory and slow apps problems.

Let us know how you get on.

Last edited:
OP
I

itm

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Sorry I'm being dumb here. When you talk about opening 2 Explorer windows - the first folder location is obvious (I.e it's where the PDF is on the PC) but where should the second Explorer window be pointed to? (I.e. The destination for the drag/drop)?

Gtatler

iPF Novice
Reaction score
itm said:
Sorry I'm being dumb here. When you talk about opening 2 Explorer windows - the first folder location is obvious (I.e it's where the PDF is on the PC) but where should the second Explorer window be pointed to? (I.e. The destination for the drag/drop)?

See my above post. The folder on my PC is "my music/iTunes/iTunes music/books"

OP
I

itm

iPF Noob
Reaction score
See my above post. The folder on my PC is "my music/iTunes/iTunes music/books"

Ah OK. I didn't have a folder of that name but this one did the trick:
C:\Users\myname\Music\iTunes\iTunes Media\Automatically Add to iTunes

Thanks for the guidance

SquiderDragon

iPF Noob
Reaction score
My Recommendation is to use Goodreader app. When you sync with iTunes under apps tab you will see apps listed where you can copy files and Goodreader (once installed) will be listed. You can then browse on your pc to the location of pdf or other document types and load. Files will then be available on your iPad via the app. You can organise files internally from within the app and I have found it handles large pdf files well. I think its a reasonably priced app too so well worth it!

SquiderDragon

Most reactions

Latest posts