What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Problem connecting to BTOPENZONE with O2 micro sim

petshopbois

iPF Noob
Reaction score
hi
I have problems connecting to BTOPENZONE using O2 micro sim in my ipad 2. I can see it when I turn on WIFI and click on it but Safari won't load anything. What can I do to check if any of my settings is wrong or does it work at all? The phone number in View Account under Mobile Data in Settings, should it be my personal number or the number of the micro sim? Thanks

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
hi
I have problems connecting to BTOPENZONE using O2 micro sim in my ipad 2. I can see it when I turn on WIFI and click on it but Safari won't load anything. What can I do to check if any of my settings is wrong or does it work at all? The phone number in View Account under Mobile Data in Settings, should it be my personal number or the number of the micro sim? Thanks

BT OpenZone is a WiFi system and has no connection with the O2 microSIM, which is for 3G. To be able to use the BT OpenZone system, you need a password from O2 (I have been down this route!!).

O2 want to send you this password via a text message to the mobile number that is registered to your microSIM - fine, except that the iPad cannot receive text messages. We have had a few members with exactly this problem. The only way forward is to telephone O2 and explain the situation to them and get them to give you the password over the 'phone. Several members - me included - have had to have several telephone conversations before they would do this - so have patience.

Tim

OP
P

petshopbois

iPF Noob
Reaction score
hi

BT OpenZone is a WiFi system and has no connection with the O2 microSIM, which is for 3G. To be able to use the BT OpenZone system, you need a password from O2 (I have been down this route!!).

O2 want to send you this password via a text message to the mobile number that is registered to your microSIM - fine, except that the iPad cannot receive text messages. We have had a few members with exactly this problem. The only way forward is to telephone O2 and explain the situation to them and get them to give you the password over the 'phone. Several members - me included - have had to have several telephone conversations before they would do this - so have patience.

Tim

Thanks for the prompt reply. I called O2 but they were going through things they asked iphone users to do and even asked me to turn on my Mobile Data. They asked me to check with Apple. So I did yesterday and one of the Apple guys told me I need to register with BTOPENZONE with my microSIM number. But there doesn't seem to be a way on btopenzone.com that I can do that.
I will call O2 again as you advised for a password but just curious what can you do with the password when the btopenzone site seems to be asking for user id and password all the time? On contrary to that, O2 told me I should be seeing a page that only prompts for the microSIM number to get connected to BTOPENZONE.

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
hi

Tim

Thanks for the prompt reply. I called O2 but they were going through things they asked iphone users to do and even asked me to turn on my Mobile Data. They asked me to check with Apple. So I did yesterday and one of the Apple guys told me I need to register with BTOPENZONE with my microSIM number. But there doesn't seem to be a way on btopenzone.com that I can do that.
I will call O2 again as you advised for a password but just curious what can you do with the password when the btopenzone site seems to be asking for user id and password all the time? On contrary to that, O2 told me I should be seeing a page that only prompts for the microSIM number to get connected to BTOPENZONE.

OK - when you get to the OpenZone login page, there should be - where you're prompted for the User ID and password - a drop-down menu where you can select your service provider - i.e O2, Orange, Vodafone etc. They each have different login requirements.

Tim

OP
P

petshopbois

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I called O2 for a password but she told me I shd not need one as it should connect to the internet straight away. I told her it is not the case as I get a btopenzone log in page(without the drop down menu as you mentioned) and she asked for me post code and told me I am not within a hot spot(even though I can see it appearing on my WI-FI!). So looks like to prove what she said is correct I need to go to a proper hot spot and try it out!

Btw, O2 website says O2 micro sim users get a free GB next month. Let's see we will get it. I might think about switching to Vodafone if I still can't get btopenzone to work. Not like I need btopenzone that much but it is supposed to work as it says on the label!

wytey

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
giffgaff.com
petshopbois said:
I called O2 for a password but she told me I shd not need one as it should connect to the internet straight away. I told her it is not the case as I get a btopenzone log in page(without the drop down menu as you mentioned) and she asked for me post code and told me I am not within a hot spot(even though I can see it appearing on my WI-FI!). So looks like to prove what she said is correct I need to go to a proper hot spot and try it out!

Btw, O2 website says O2 micro sim users get a free GB next month. Let's see we will get it. I might think about switching to Vodafone if I still can't get btopenzone to work. Not like I need btopenzone that much but it is supposed to work as it says on the label!

sounds like a rep needs retraining :)

OP
P

petshopbois

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Good news! O2 micro sim does connect to BTopenzone and Cloud when you are in a hotspot. I went to Charing X station which is a hotspot and turned on the wi-fi and it loads a different page which has the drop-down to choose which network you are on. Then key in your micro sim phone number and you are good to go! I spoke to O2 shop at Oxford Circus to confirm that too. So if you see BTOPENZONE and get a page that asks for userid and password, that means you are not in a hotspot(maybe just close to it).

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Glad you got it fixed OK - and good to know about the different BT OpenZone facilities - some being hotspots and some not. Thanks

Tim

Most reactions

Latest posts