What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Problem charging the battery

ZammyBoi

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi,

I've been using the iPad for almost a year now and have faced a problem with it for the first time. I'm trying to charge the battery by plugging it in using the original Apple able and adaptors, however the tablet just isnt recognising the power source or charging. Any assistance about this would be much appreciated

Cheers,
Zam

goofy8275

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Have you tried switching chargers/cables, Zam? I once had a problem with my iPad similar to yours, and the issue was resolved by switching USB cables.

emuesch

iPF Noob
Reaction score
This has happened to me several times. Once it was because the power strip i was plugging into was toggled in the off position. Another time it was because the cable wasn't completely plugged-in to the adaptor. The last time it was because the adaptor, which is actually two pieces (at least mine is), had slipped apart a tiny bit and I had to slide the USB piece back into the prong piece.

If your issue isn't any of those then post a bit more detail about the situation you are facing. Have you used this particular charger and cable before for this particular iPad? Have you tried another outlet in your home/office?

Also, try resetting the iPad (press Home and Sleep and slide the slider, wait 30 secs and turn back on) and see if that helps after you turn it back on.

MattIM

iPF Novice
Reaction score
emuesch said:
This has happened to me several times. Once it was because the power strip i was plugging into was toggled in the off position. Another time it was because the cable wasn't completely plugged-in to the adaptor. The last time it was because the adaptor, which is actually two pieces (at least mine is), had slipped apart a tiny bit and I had to slide the USB piece back into the prong piece.

If your issue isn't any of those then post a bit more detail about the situation you are facing. Have you used this particular charger and cable before for this particular iPad? Have you tried another outlet in your home/office?

Also, try resetting the iPad (press Home and Sleep and slide the slider, wait 30 secs and turn back on) and see if that helps after you turn it back on.

In this case, I would skip turning on the iPad. Instead I would plug the cable back into the iPad as it comes on anyway.

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
ZammyBoi said:
Hi,

I've been using the iPad for almost a year now and have faced a problem with it for the first time. I'm trying to charge the battery by plugging it in using the original Apple able and adaptors, however the tablet just isnt recognising the power source or charging. Any assistance about this would be much appreciated

Cheers,
Zam

If you have any other iDevices, try using the charger on them, if the other devices don't charge, then the charger, cable or both are likely defective. If the charger works with other devices then maybe there is a defect in your iPad. Your iPad is under warranty for one year after purchase so take it to the nearest Apple store or authorized service center and have it checked out. If it is defective it will be replaced at no charge as long as the warranty hasn't expired yet. Make sure to do a backup of your iPad before taking it in, then set up the replacement from the backup you made.
P.S., your charger and cable are also covered by the warranty so if they're defective you can get them replaced.

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Another thought here. Have you checked that the outlet you plug the charger into is live?

Most reactions

Latest posts