What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Problem Attaching Files (Edmoto & Animoto)

ddewaal

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I am having problems attaching files to various programs like Outlook and Edmoto. Suggestions?

Last edited by a moderator:

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Okay, ddewaal, first - I have to fuss at you for a little bit.

(1) If you have a new question (e.g. a new topic), please make a new thread. That's because it becomes very difficult to follow questions and solutions if there is more than one conversation going on within a post. This is the second time I've created a new thread for one of your questions. Please, keep topics separate and only one per post!

(2) This is an international forum populated by members who aren't here all the time; it runs, essentially, 24 hours. If you do post a question - please give people a chance to read the question and time to respond. One post to ask a question and then three more asking for help - all within 12 minutes? Bit much. Dial it back a bit, okay?

Now, with that out of the way - could you expand your question a bit more? Are you trying to sync your Outlook with the iPad? Are you trying to access a web document?

Please give us a few more details. Specifically, what are you trying to do?

Thanks.

Marilyn

OP
D

ddewaal

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Cringing. Fuss acknowledged. Sorry. I don't know how to open a new thread. I'm just sort of throwing questions out there in hopes you (like some omnipotent being) are there. Have you ever seen Time Bandits? Off topic, I know. Seems relevant in some way, though.
That being said:
1. How does one open a new thread, and
2. I want to upload photos from my ipad to animoto and edmoto and the link to do that is not active in either. Perhaps it has something to do with flash? I've downloaded the animoto app and can create a video with images and music, but no text. Downloading the edmoto app does not allow image upload, either.
Bottom line. I want to use my ipad to create presentations with both text and images in animoto and upload photos to edmoto from my camera roll. Is that possible?
And again, please excuse my breech of forum etiquette - I truly have no clue.

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Unfortunately, I've not used either of those two apps. Here's hoping someone will be along to help...

Sorry.

Marilyn

P.S. Check your PM inbox..."you've got mail!" :)

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Hmm, I'm guessing you are trying to upload videos through Safari directly to the sites. Won't work. Because the iPad does not have a general file system (accesible to all apps), Safari can not find and upload files. Rather than confuse the issue (more than it does now) Safari will grey out the usual Choose File buttons on websites.

There are three ways around this (off the top of my head).

Use apps specific to the site. This is the preferred, best working method. It looks like Animoto has an iPhone app. It won't look all that good, but it should work on the iPad. How well it will work and whether it will do all you want, I've no idea. Just search for it in the app store, it's free. I get no hits for Edmoto.

The second way is to use a third party browser. iCab Mobile will attempt to do uploads. You have to use the Open In feature in another app to get the files into iCab first. Not all apps have this, notably the Photos app. You need a third app like GoodReader to copy photos to itself, then you could use Open In from it to move them to iCab Mobile, and then visit the website and try to upload. Sound like a lot of trouble? It is. Even when you do this there is no guarantee. Not all sites will work with iCab's upload feature.

Three; upload the video or whatever file to a cloud service like DropBox, copy the public link (must end in the filename not some weird shortening suffix like /XZZLTWN). Then (if the website has the option) choose the upload URL options instead of the Choose File button.

There are probably a few other ways, but it's getting late(ish) here, and I have to get up early tomorrow.

Good luck.

Last edited:
OP
D

ddewaal

iPF Noob
Reaction score
twerppoet said:
Hmm, I'm guessing you are trying to upload videos through Safari directly to the sites. Won't work. Because the iPad does not have a general file system (accesible to all apps), Safari can not find and upload files. Rather than confuse the issue (more than it does now) Safari will grey out the usual Choose File buttons on websites.

There are three ways around this (off the top of my head).

Use apps specific to the site. This is the preferred, best working method. It looks like Animoto has an iPhone app. It won't look all that good, but it should work on the iPad. How well it will work and whether it will do all you want, I've no idea. Just search for it in the app store, it's free. I get no hits for Edmoto.

The second way is to use a third party browser. iCab Mobile will attempt to do uploads. You have to use the Open In feature in another app to get the files into iCab first. Not all apps have this, notably the Photos app. You need a third app like GoodReader to copy photos to itself, then you could use Open In from it to move them to iCab Mobile, and then visit the website and try to upload. Sound like a lot of trouble? It is. Even when you do this there is no guarantee. Not all sites will work with iCab's upload feature.

Three; upload the video or whatever file to a cloud service like DropBox, copy the public link (must end in the filename not some weird shortening suffix like /XZZLTWN). Then (if the website has the option) choose the upload URL options instead of the Choose File button.

There are probably a few other ways, but it's getting late(ish) here, and I have to get up early tomorrow.

Good luck.

Thank you. As before, your help is much appreciated.

Most reactions

Latest posts