What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

probably dumb question

jse

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hello,
Total Newbie here. Have mercy on me, my question will probably sound dumb to most of you.
I am the pround owner of a new IPAD2, which my girlfriend got me (nice, huh?)
She has a nice new Mac computer at home. I do not own any computer myself (my email is from my workplace).
Is it possible to set up my IPAD2 without synching it up with her Mac?
Won't plugging it into her computer access her iTunes account, etc.?
I'd like to maintain my own music, videos, apps, with a seperate account.
Or do we need to have two iTunes accounts on her Mac?
Appreciate any advice.
Thanks, JSE

SweetPoison

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Never worry about a dumb question! And welcome!

Yes, you do have to set up your iPad on iTunes. I think you can have up to 5 accounts in iTunes. You will need your own ~

Nonie3234

iPF Noob
Reaction score
You need to create your own iTunes library. My husband and I have a separate library for each of our iPods, and I have another library for my iPad, and another one for my future iPhone. (Yes, I am stocking the library with content ahead of time!)

I am sorry I'm not sure how to create a library on a Mac (hopefully someone will chime in) but on a PC, you hold down the shift key BEFORE you launch iTunes. You'll get a dialog box to "choose a library" or "create a new library". You want to create a new one, name it however you want, then stock it with all your apps, music, photos, whatever.

Then, make sure to ALWAYS hit that key before you sync your iPad and choose that same library each time, or you'll end up syncing to the wrong device!

One someone here tells you what key to use on a Mac (if it's not the shift key) you should be good to go!

OP
J

jse

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thank you all for your advice.
I gather that we need to set up a second iTunes account on my GF's Mac, before synching up my new IPAD.
What if her computer wasn't available? What would I do then?
Still puzzled, JSE

Nonie3234

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Well, I'm sorry to tell you that you that a computer is VITAL to set up your iPad. Once you have it set up, I guess theoretically you could simply use the iTunes in the iPad for downloads, updates, etc. I'm not CERTAIN of that, hopefully someone more experienced will confirm or deny this.

I generally sync my iPad to the iTunes library once a week - first, to always make sure I have the latest update to the operating system, and second - to make sure to back up whatever I've done during the week.

wytey

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
giffgaff.com
Hold down the alt key whilst opening iTunes on the mac will ask you to either choose a library or setup a new one.

Hope that helps

OP
J

jse

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thank you, Wolfpuppies3, and everyone who has offered advice.
You're right, Methods 2 & 3 wouldn't require a seperate iTunes account.
But then everything would be under HER credit card info, which isn't optimal. I think I need my own personal account.

If I purchase monthly prepaid usage plans, don't those go thru iTunes too?

Although I've used her Mac for important purchases, like airline tickets, I avoid using it for less important things, like surfing the net, email, etc.
That's why she got me an IPAD 2 in the first place. I don't want to have to keep syncing up to her computer to update my growing music library.

After the initial set-up, can my iTunes account exist only on the IPAD2?
And is my Apple ID dependent on her email address?

Oh, I forgot to mention she also has Mobile-Me. Does that make a difference?
I'll get there eventually.
IPAD wannabe JSE

Most reactions