What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Proactive Assistant - Creating events automatically

davidalan99

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Perhaps this is a little basic, but I can not figure how this gets triggered. Does anyone know, after it is turned on in calendar, what exactly triggers the creation of an event. I have had a couple of emails sent with appointments times and dates both in the body of the email and in the subject line of the email. Nothing seems to be created in the calendar app, or am i looking in the wrong place? How does it work, please.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Make sure it's turned on in Settings > Mail, Contacts, Calendars. Also make sure the calendar is checked in the Calendars app, under the Calendar button (just like you make the other calendars show, or not). The suggested events have their own built in default calendar.

That said, I've sent myself a couple of emails with dates and times. Mail recognizes them, since it underlines the event and it can be added manually to the calendar; but I'm not seeing anything show up automatically.

Which is all a long way of saying I don't know.

OP
davidalan99

davidalan99

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Make sure it's turned on in Settings > Mail, Contacts, Calendars. Also make sure the calendar is checked in the Calendars app, under the Calendar button (just like you make the other calendars show, or not). The suggested events have their own built in default calendar.
Which is all a long way of saying I don't know.

Yes I have done those steps as well and nothing appears.

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Tap and hold on the event, then you should get these options:
image.png
Select "Create Event" to add it to your calendar.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
That's the manual entry. It's been there since at least iOS 6. The new mode is supposed to automatically add them to a special calendar in the Calendars app.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1442650736.248568.jpg

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
That's enabled in my app, but it doesn't add events automatically. No idea why.

OP
davidalan99

davidalan99

iPF Novice
Reaction score

Husq250

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I believe it's when you're on the recieving end of one of these-

image.jpg

image.jpg

OP
davidalan99

davidalan99

iPF Novice
Reaction score
By sending an invite direct from the calendar app on another iPad, you do not get an email on the receiving iPad. I tried thT on my wife's iPad to me with an invite on my gmail account. Yes the appointment went right into the calendar app. But this is not reading an email it's an invitation.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
found this from the mac observer:
2. Events in Email. There's another similar feature to the one above. iOS 9 will look through the iPhone's email searching for invitations that are iOS compliant. If it finds one, it will place the event in the Calendar app.

So what is is an invitation that is IOS compliant

How to Prevent iOS 9 From Rummaging Through Your Email Looking for Events and Contacts - The Mac Observer

I saw that article, a bit after my initial response. As you say, it don't explain what iOS compliant means. I'd expect it to mean that the even get's detected and underlined in Mail, the same as in the past; but maybe I'm wrong.

It is possible to send and receive invitation via email, rather than directly in the Calendar app. You need that ability so that you can exchange invitations between different calendar services. Maybe that's what it means. I've never sent or received and invitation by this method. I do have a couple of other accounts though, so maybe I can test this theory.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Well, that didn't work. I send my iCloud email address an invitation from my Google Calendar (which I don't use on my iOS devices). So far it has failed to show up in Calendars, despite being opened in Mail. I even viewed the .ics files.

So, still no clue as to what has to be done to make this work, assuming it's working at all.

Blue92

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Isn't it amazing how sometimes things meant to make things easier wind up making them more confusing and complicated.......

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Isn't it amazing how sometimes things meant to make things easier wind up making them more confusing and complicated.......

Well, I'm kind of skeptical as to whether I want this feature or not, so I'm not missing it. I just want to solve the problem of why it's not working, partly for David's sake, and partly to appease my own injured pride. :)

Most reactions

Latest posts