What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Pro photographer - just joined the community

royphotog

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi everyone, I was looking at the ipad, having been thinking about getting one for several months with no more then a though. Then this morning I started looking seriously at it and found this form.
I am a professional photographer, doing wedding and portraits. I have been in the business for 28 years and it's a full time business for me. H ave a studio in Visalia in central California.
I can see some benefits on selling from the ipad, and that the ipad is still a kind of "wow" item, not everyone has one but, like me, would like an excuse to get one.
I have been exploring it more today see that it can be much more then that. So I hope that I can explore the possibilities of the ipad here on this form.

OUTL4W

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Welcome to the forums....
you'll definitely find some helpful members here....
I've recently been playing around with an app that would suit your needs however it is on the high end for apps @ $14.99...

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=87iCJ08cSeg]YouTube - ‪iPad Photography App: Portfolio for iPad: Adorama Photography TV‬‏[/ame]

Besides if you didn't like the iPad 1 or 2 you'll can always return it....which I doubt.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum.
The camera kit also allows you to load photos from your cameras SD card directly to the iPad so you can show customers a quick overview of what you just took on a bigger screen than your camera, should you so choose. My Sony Cyber shot can be linked into my camera kit so I don't even have to remove the card but I can't speak for other cameras as to it working that way.

Support Our Troops!
This post was Tapatalk approved
Sent from wherever I'm at right now via my Apple tablet

OP
R

royphotog

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks for the replies everyone and thanks OUTL4W for posting the video, that app seems like what I am looking for. A couple things come to mind. Can I output the I pad to another monitor and better yet to a projector. I have a projector with a VGA , is there an adapter? and can I access my files on a windows PC via wifi so that if I am in the selling room I can access images on one of my office computers and show the client some images?

OUTL4W

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Thanks for the replies everyone and thanks OUTL4W for posting the video, that app seems like what I am looking for. A couple things come to mind. Can I output the I pad to another monitor and better yet to a projector. I have a projector with a VGA , is there an adapter? and can I access my files on a windows PC via wifi so that if I am in the selling room I can access images on one of my office computers and show the client some images?

Yes...the app does have external display capabilty and look here for your VGA adapter
Apple VGA Adapter - Apple Store (U.S.)
Some more extra cost but since it's for your business, easily viable for a tax write-off...including the iPad.

Second part of your question:
The app doesn't have the capability to connect to your pc via wifi to transfer pics....but there are other options...other 3rd party apps such as teamviewer, splashtop and others...that allow you to control pc thru wifi/3g that will allow the transfer of files when on the go or at a clients residence. You could use either app to navigate to your pc and save pic from pc to iPad photo app and then import into portfolio.
Or have the option to save your photos on pc to dropbox, another 3rd party app, which portfolio allows you to import from dropbox from within the app.
But my preferfence is to use splashtop remote decktop viewer....perhaps if your camera has an Sd card...you could also use the camera connection kit as previous poster stated and then upload to pc via splashtop when on the go. Or even control Photoshop cs5 from your arm chair using splashtop.....:D

There are a plethora of options available to you...

Last edited:
OP
R

royphotog

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks again OUTL4W, you have me excited for the ipad. There is a Apple store here where I live and I think I will go in on Saturday and take a look at it in person, plus I just got finished reading, or listing to the audio book, "The Steve Jobs Way" by jay Elliott and William Simon, my first into to Jobs and the Apple idea, so I am as seeing the store, the layout and how they sell as I am about the ipad.

Plainsman

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'm chiming in here a little late but thought I would put my oar in anyway.

I, too, am a pro (semi-retired) who bought an iPad2 primarily as a portfolio device. (I've since been discovering all the other wonderful things it can do!) Anyway...

I see no need for a specialty portfolio program. Being a fan of Keynote on my desktop and laptop I sought to utilize it and so far it works a treat. Here's how I do it:

I make a presentation on the desk- or laptop. Then I upload it to Dropbox. On the iPad I download the presentation and once it's in Dropbox on the iPad I ask it to open it in Keynote. Bingo. Done.

I am now exploring the limitations of the desk-to-iPad transfer in Keynote as I know there are things the desktop program will do that the iPad app cannot replicate. But I don;t want a complex, whirly-gig show. I want a simple way to show and access the images.

So far Keynote works well for me.

Most reactions

Latest posts