Pro dropping external drive

Discussion in 'iPad Pro Forum' started by Tuttle, Oct 11, 2019 at 7:03 PM.

1. Tuttle

Tuttle
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Enthusiast

Thanks Received:
    Okay, so I have a new pro, 12.9 inch, 1 terabyte. I have hooked up a Seagate external HD that I have been using on my Mac. Works okay, but my iPad drops the connection randomly. Any thoughts?

2. twerppoet

twerppoet
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Legend II

Thanks Received:
    Are you powering the drive from the iPad’s USB-C port?

If so, try using the drive’s power supply (if it has one), or using a powered USB-C hub.

That’s all I can think of. I’ve only played with external drive support on my Pro a couple of times, using a hub and fairly standard USB flash-drive, so I’m no expert on what to expect.

3. Tuttle

Tuttle
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Enthusiast

Thanks Received:

Thanks. I'll give your hub idea a shot!

4. Tuttle

Tuttle
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Enthusiast

Thanks Received:
    Have been looking (on line) for a powered usbc hub and none explicitly say that the power can flow to my external hard drive attached to the usb3 port. Any ideas or recommendations?

5. twerppoet

twerppoet
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Legend II

Thanks Received:
    If you can find the manufacture’s site, as opposed to sales sites, they might have a tech/spec sheet.

Other than that, USB-C has a standard. Here is the text from the Wikipedia article.

All USB-C cables must be able to carry a minimum of 3 A current (at 20 V, 60 W) but can also carry high-power 5 A current (at 20 V, 100 W).[9]USB-C to USB-C cables supporting 5A current must contain e-marker chips programmed to identify the cable and its current capabilities. USB Charging ports should also be clearly marked with capable power wattage.[10]

Though I said I use a hub, it is an unpowered one, so this is not an issue I’ve looked into.

6. Tuttle

Tuttle
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Enthusiast

Thanks Received:
    Merci! As I understand things, there are dedicated channels for 5V power in a usb connector, so I assume any device connected can "feed" from it. But, strangely, it seems that an ssd storage device runs in the same price range as hub. And, I assume, would be less power hungry than a hard drive.