What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Pro 3rd gen talking to iTunes in Windows

DavidM

iPF Novice
Reaction score
The new pro charges with the c cable. So what do we now need to plug into the Windows machine with standard usb?

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
There are plenty of USB A to USB C adaptors on the market. They should work. Hold in mind I have not seen official confirmation of this, but the adaptors work for most devices on most computres.

Might not work for charging; but charging from a computer’s USB A port has never worked well for iPads.

Ian_NZ

iPF Noob
Reaction score
There are plenty of USB A to USB C adaptors on the market. They should work. Hold in mind I have not seen official confirmation of this, but the adaptors work for most devices on most computres.

Might not work for charging; but charging from a computer’s USB A port has never worked well for iPads.

I bought a usb-c to usb-a cable and it worked fine

OP
D

DavidM

iPF Novice
Reaction score

USB-a doesn’t have enough power to charge a iPad.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
USB-a doesn’t have enough power to charge a iPad.

It’s not a matter of USB-A, but of how much power the USB-A port can supply. Laptop USB-A ports rarely supply enough power to charge an iPad, especialy the newer models. Desktops are somewhat more likely, but still rarely have high power USB ports. Or no more than one.

Keep in mind that all iPad models except the two newest iPad Pros use USB-A chargers. The only difference between them and your computer ports or phone chargers is that they have a beefier power supply. The earliest iPads had 10W chargers. The newer ones are approaching double that. Typical phone chargers and computer ports range from .2W to 5W.

Dave98102

iPF Noob
Reaction score
My iMac has thunderbolt 3 and USB-A ports. Is there reason to prefer one or the other for cable availability or performance?

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My iMac has thunderbolt 3 and USB-A ports. Is there reason to prefer one or the other for cable availability or performance?
The Thunderbolt 3 ports support data transfer speeds of up to 40 gigabits per second. USB 3.1 supports data transfer speeds of up to 10 gigabits per second. Thunderbolt cables are more expensive than USB cables as are Thunderbolt capable devices such as hard drives.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Thunderbolt 3 is backwards compatible with USB-C, and uses the same connector. Both are backwards compatible with USB-A, but need an adaptor.

If you have a USB-C iPad then connecting to this port will provide faster syncing. It may also charge the iPad, though I’m not sure how well. Thunderbolt and USB-C ports typically supply more power than USB-A ports, but the maximum wattage supplied can still vary from device to device. I’d guess it will charge the iPad Pro (when not being used), but not as fast as the power supply that comes with it. Again, that is a guess. I haven’t looked into it.

The older 12.9 inch iPad Pros have Lightening ports, but are USB-C compatible. They should get the same advantages from the computer’s Thunderbolt port as the new modles, but only if you connect them with a USB-C to Lighting cable.

Older iPads can be connected to USB-C and Tunderbolt 3 with the right adaptor, but will only work at USB-A speeds. I’m not sure what the power limitaitons might be, but suspect they would be equivilant of a high powered USB-A port (5W?); capable of charging an iPad, but only when off and very slowly.

This is all off the top of my head, unverified. I’m open to correction on any and all of it.

Most reactions

Latest posts