What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Private Browser Warning. I need to keep the private browser on so I can use AutoFill.

Larry69RT

iPF Noob
Reaction score
How can I get rid of the brown page private browser warning that pops up all the time.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Tap the double square icon in the top right corner, then tap on the Private button (so that it is no longer highlighted). Safari will go back to showing a white toolbar.

When Safari shows a gray toolbar with white icons you are in Private Browsing mode. This mode increses privacy by no allowing the retention of cookies, histrory, and a few other thigns. Apparently it also prevents auto-fill, which was something I did not know.

OP
L

Larry69RT

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Tap the double square icon in the top right corner, then tap on the Private button (so that it is no longer highlighted). Safari will go back to showing a white toolbar.

When Safari shows a gray toolbar with white icons you are in Private Browsing mode. This mode increses privacy by no allowing the retention of cookies, histrory, and a few other thigns. Apparently it also prevents auto-fill, which was something I did not know.

OP
L

Larry69RT

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks for checking this thread, I understand how to turn private browsing on and off. What I don't understand is why having private browsing on is the only way my auto fill will work. I must be missing something somewhere. Then there's that brown page warning that makes you do a extra step, which is a PITA.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Hm. In that case I have no idea what is going on. Auto-fill should work without having to turn Private Browsing on, and I've never heard of a brown page warning of any type. Both the page approach (instead of a dialog box) and the color brown sound unlike Apple. Just weird.

Can you supply a screenshot of the offending page? If there is any private or sensitive information you can use an app like Skitch to obscure it.

Edit: I haven't had Auto-Fill turned on for a long while, so it's possible that something fundemental has changed; but I'm kind of doubting it.

ardchoille

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I use auto-fill for passwords in non-private mode in Safari and it works in iOS 9.2.

OP
L

Larry69RT

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hm. In that case I have no idea what is going on. Auto-fill should work without having to turn Private Browsing on, and I've never heard of a brown page warning of any type. Both the page approach (instead of a dialog box) and the color brown sound unlike Apple. Just weird.

Can you supply a screenshot of the offending page? If there is any private or sensitive information you can use an app like Skitch to obscure it.

Edit: I haven't had Auto-Fill turned on for a long while, so it's possible that something fundemental has changed; but I'm kind of doubting it.

OP
L

Larry69RT

iPF Noob
Reaction score
This is the screenshot of the offending page. I have the latest IOS and when I turn off private browsing, my autofill doesn't work.

file:///Users/larrydunbar/Pictures/Photos%20Library.photoslibrary/Thumbnails/2015/12/12/20151212-134443/Tnpn8nPxSS6w%25Fh9K9MTHg/thumb_IMG_0464_1024.jpg

OP
L

Larry69RT

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I do want to thank all those who've replied. I may just have a glitch somewhere in my IOS as others don't seem to have a problem. I'm not the brightest bulb on the tree when it comes to IOS and the glitch may very well be "pilot error" on my part.
Thanks again to all.

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
This is the screenshot of the offending page. I have the latest IOS and when I turn off private browsing, my autofill doesn't work.

file:///Users/larrydunbar/Pictures/Photos%20Library.photoslibrary/Thumbnails/2015/12/12/20151212-134443/Tnpn8nPxSS6w%25Fh9K9MTHg/thumb_IMG_0464_1024.jpg
Your picture doesn't appear.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score

That's a link to a file stored localy. Probably on your computer. To upload a picture choose Upload A File at the bottom fo the text box, and use the dialog to choose the picture.

NSquirrel

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Just a thought: were your original password entries only done in private browsing? Perhaps they are saved in a separate way from standard browsing? ( Not tested as I always use standard browsing.)

Most reactions