What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Privacy on iPad

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I created this thread to focus on how to keep things private on iPad. I'll add some of the info I know about, and maybe others can add what they know. Starting with basics:

You can passcode protect your iPad access in Settings > General > Passcode Lock.

If you want to keep others from making changes to email accounts, buying apps, seeing or buying certain content (such as music with explicit lyrics), and more, you'll find that under Settings > General > Restrictions.

If you want to browse privately in Safari, go to Settings > Safari and you can select private browsing; toggle on and off for cookies; select auto-fill for passwords; block popups and more. Note that Privacy Browsing will interfere with auto-logons and block some video links, even if they're perfectly harmless, like some videos posted on this forum.

Other browsers, such as Atomic, have private browsing settings as well.

There are privacy apps available for free and for sale in the app store.

Two apps I've messed around with are Photo Privacy (free, with high ratings) and My Secret Folder (99 cents, with high ratings). Both let you set passwords. Photo Privacy lets you store photos, of course. My Secret Folder lets you store photos, notes, Web bookmarks and such. My Secret Folder also offers a setting to take a photo of anyone who tries to access that app without the right passcode. Of course, iPad 1 has no camera, so that feature won't work on that device. My Secret Folder's icon appears on your iPad as a folder named My Folder; changing its name isn't an option right now.

This kind of privacy might come in handy for various uses, even if you have nothing risque on your iPad. For instance, if you share your iPad with others, you might want to keep people from accidentally deleting or otherwise messing up your content. You could also keep your own folder for Web links that you don't want scrambled with other users' favorites. In my case, I have images, legal docs and notes from work that could use extra protection.

debsylvania

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I just happened to see the following app featured at appadvice.com a couple of days ago. Looks like it would fit in with your topic nicely:

Secret Delivery ($0.99 -> Free, 956.0 KB): It doesn't matter whether it's sensitive personal information or just an interest for better privacy, we all worry about prying eyes sometimes. Providing both encryption and decryption of text and images, the app is simple but safe enough to communicate information amongst only those you truly trust. The app features SMS / MMS, Twitter, Mail, and clipboard integration. Both parties require a copy of the app.

analore

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Kaykaykay said:
I created this thread to focus on how to keep things private on iPad. I'll add some of the info I know about, and maybe others can add what they know. Starting with basics:

You can passcode protect your iPad access in Settings > General > Passcode Lock.

If you want to keep others from making changes to email accounts, buying apps, seeing or buying certain content (such as music with explicit lyrics), and more, you'll find that under Settings > General > Restrictions.

If you want to browse privately in Safari, go to Settings > Safari and you can select private browsing; toggle on and off for cookies; select auto-fill for passwords; block popups and more. Note that Privacy Browsing will interfere with auto-logons and block some video links, even if they're perfectly harmless, like some videos posted on this forum.

Other browsers, such as Atomic, have private browsing settings as well.

There are privacy apps available for free and for sale in the app store.

Two apps I've messed around with are Photo Privacy (free, with high ratings) and My Secret Folder (99 cents, with high ratings). Both let you set passwords. Photo Privacy lets you store photos, of course. My Secret Folder lets you store photos, notes, Web bookmarks and such. My Secret Folder also offers a setting to take a photo of anyone who tries to access that app without the right passcode. Of course, iPad 1 has no camera, so that feature won't work on that device. My Secret Folder's icon appears on your iPad as a folder named My Folder; changing its name isn't an option right now.

This kind of privacy might come in handy for various uses, even if you have nothing risque on your iPad. For instance, if you share your iPad with others, you might want to keep people from accidentally deleting or otherwise messing up your content. You could also keep your own folder for Web links that you don't want scrambled with other users' favorites. In my case, I have images, legal docs and notes from work that could use extra protection.

Hi, but is there a way to make your notes private? I mean the app notes thats comes with the iPad. Or I have to download a new app and copy all my notes in there?

jsh1120

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi, but is there a way to make your notes private? I mean the app notes thats comes with the iPad. Or I have to download a new app and copy all my notes in there?

Short answer is that you need another note taking app. A number of the better apps support password protection of individual notes or folders.

OP
K

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score

The My Secrer Folder app (as I mentioned in first post) lets you take notes and keep them passcoded.

Kahra76man

iPF Noob
Reaction score
it is strange that lots of apps can be restricted but "mail". in fact it is as important as to restrict itunes app. this has nothing to do with account creating. i just dont want some one to look into my mails.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Apple thinks of the iPad as a personal device. As such they give you the option to restrict (password protect) the entire device. Only third party apps can have their own password options, because, presumably, they think different. ;)

I'm not saying right or wrong, just what it is.

iJamesH

iPF Novice
Reaction score
You know how I keep my iPad private. I tell people if they touch my iPad I'll kill them. Works every time!!!!!

Black_Soul33

iPF Noob
Reaction score
iJamesH said:
You know how I keep my iPad private. I tell people if they touch my iPad I'll kill them. Works every time!!!!!

LOL, that would work for sure...;)

Most reactions

Latest posts