What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Printing

MrLuke

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Tap the arrow in the top right of the mail app. This will bring a drop down menu with the option to print. Touch this and voila.

Proud owner of a 32GB wifi iPad2 iOS5.

skimonkey

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
how do I print an email?

Hi Lynz, welcome to the forum!!
:eek:
Do you have a wireless printer already connected to your ipad right now. I apologize for asking that question, since there has been so many questions pertaining to airprint, wireless printers etc.

Otherwise, please disregard my question!

OP
lynz

lynz

iPF Noob
Reaction score
MrLuke said:
Tap the arrow in the top right of the mail app. This will bring a drop down menu with the option to print. Touch this and voila.

There is no arrow!!

OP
lynz

lynz

iPF Noob
Reaction score
skimonkey said:
Hi Lynz, welcome to the forum!!
:eek:
Do you have a wireless printer already connected to your ipad right now. I apologize for asking that question, since there has been so many questions pertaining to airprint, wireless printers etc.

Otherwise, please disregard my question!

Yeah I do

MrLuke

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Are you sure. It should look like the arrow at the top right of this screenshot.

Attachments

• image-524737232.png
    image-524737232.png
    408 KB · Views: 335
OP
lynz

lynz

iPF Noob
Reaction score
No arrow what I'm trying to do is print a document from one note app I just can't do it it's driving me mad! Do you think my insurance will cover me if I throw the bloody thing out of the window?..

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Ok, I'm doing a 'lot' of guess work here on what the problem is, so let me see if I've got it right.

1) You want to print a note from OneNote, but OneNote does not have a print option. (I don't have OneNote, so I wouldn't know this)

2) But OneNote does have an email option, so you tried starting an email so you can print it.

3) You have an AirPrint printing solution that already works with other apps. Mail will only work with either an AirPrint printer or one of the computer programas that can simulate an AirPrint printer. No third party app solution will work with it. If that did not make sense, I've included a fairly complete synopsis of how to print from the iPad at the bottom of the post.

If I'm right, this should work. You send the note to yourself from OneNote. When you receive it in the Mail app, you use the arrow icon as previously mentioned. This option only exists for emails you receive, not ones you are about to send.

PrintEmail.jpg

It is not a great solution, but unless Microsoft decides to include a print option in their app this is the kind of workaround you're stuck with.

Some printers are directly compatible with AirPrint on the iPad. Be absolutely certain the printer supports AirPrint before buying. Some printers may require a firmware update to work. These are usually available on the manufacturers site. If you get this kind of printer you can print directly from within apps that support the feature, which is many.

iOS: AirPrint 101

Of course some of us already have printers and do not want to buy a new one. There are several ways to do this.

One is to use a printing app on the iPad.

Most (or all) other print apps can only print pictures and/or files that have been copied to that app via Open In or other method. Print n Share used to be able to print from AirPrint enabled apps if it was loaded the background. It lost this ability with iOS 5. It may still work with iOS 4 if you get it before the app is updated in the App Store. Several printer manufacturers have their own apps for their printers. In general those apps will probably have the best results, quality wise.

The second method is to load a program on the computer that will emulate an AirPrint compatible printer. Your computer must be on and have the printer available to it. The cheapest (free) is Airprint Activator. More features can be had with FingerPrint (mac and windows) and Printopia (mac only).

There is a third way. A few printers (mostly HP's again) can be set up with their own email address. PDF attachments can be sent via this address to be printed. The last review I saw (several months ago) said it could be quite slow (big files not recommended), and sometimes the emails got lost and never printed. The advantage was that you could literally send/print from anywhere you have an internet connection.

There is a new wrinkle for small business owners and those with more than one printer who would like all their printers to work, but don't want to leave a computer on all the time. The Lantronix XPrintServer is a small box that connects to your network and is supposed to detect and make all your wireless printers available to iOS as AirPrint printers. I haven't seen a full review on it yet, so do your research.

OP
lynz

lynz

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks really detailed helpful answer

Most reactions

Latest posts