Printing ?

Discussion in 'iPad 1 Forum' started by mzkim, Feb 20, 2013.

1. mzkim

mzkim
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Can I print documents from my ipad?

2. goofy8275

goofy8275
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Guru

Thanks Received:
    Yes, but you need a special AirPrint enabled printer to do so.

But there's also another solution, if you already have a non-AirPrint printer, be it a network printer or just USB. The folks at Lantronix have created the XPrint server, a little box that connects to your wireless router. You can connect USB and network printers to it, and they will become available to your iPad. I believe the base (home) edition is about $100. There's also an office addition, which allows for more printers to be connected.

3. WednesdayWendy

WednesdayWendy
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    yes you can indeed!
    as goofy8275 said, you do need an airprint enabled printer, see the link here: http://support.apple.com/kb/ht4356
    h
    owever, if you dont want to go for that option, the other options are downloading a decent printing app from the app store, such as printcentral or print n share

4. mzkim

mzkim
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Thanks, for the info.

5. giradman

giradman
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Monger

Thanks Received:
    Hi Mzkim - welcome to the forum! :)

As already suggested, if you own a non-AirPrint printer, then a 'software' option is still a good choice - I've used FingerPrint (from Collobos - check HERE) for nearly two years - just a small program on your computer, nothing needed on the iPad which will recognize that a printer(s) is available to print over the same Wi-Fi network; for me, even permits selection to my inkjet or laser printers. Good luck w/ your choice.

6. Tudor

Tudor
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    It is not true that you need an AirPrint printer. I cannot provide all the details because I'm away from home for two weeks. Essentially use need an Apple service that you run on your Windows machine. If you search the Internet you should be able to find the details. I use a HP LaserJet 2055 connected by USB to a windows 7 64bit machine. Works fine, although I sometimes need to send a WOL packet to wake up my sleeping machine!

7. TommyZ3

TommyZ3
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    I print from an iPad1 to my HP LaserJet 1606dn b&W printer over WiFi (router is hardwired to the printer). It is flawless. HP also was completely wireless solutions.