What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Printing with iPad 2 through network?

msny

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'm very new, so please be gentle. Been a user since only yesterday.

I have a PC network, with a networked Brother laser
printer.

I was reading my email on the iPad2 this morning
and when I tried to print, it said "no printer found".

How do you setup printing on the iPad through a wi-fi
connected printer?

Thanks!

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I would agree. Your printer is not directly supported by the iPad because the iPad uses a new printing technology, AirPrint, that currently only a few printers support. However FingerPrint (I use it too) is a program that you can install on your PC that makes your PC 'look like' an AirPrint printer. It simply then routes the printing to the printers attached to your PC. There's a free 7-day trial version, so there's no risk in trying it. Many Members here like it; it's as close to plug-and-play as you're going to get.

If you have any problems with it, don't hesitate for a moment to get back in touch with us for help - that's what we're here for....

Tim

OP
M

msny

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I would agree. Your printer is not directly supported by the iPad because the iPad uses a new printing technology, AirPrint, that currently only a few printers support. However FingerPrint (I use it too) is a program that you can install on your PC that makes your PC 'look like' an AirPrint printer. It simply then routes the printing to the printers attached to your PC. There's a free 7-day trial version, so there's no risk in trying it. Many Members here like it; it's as close to plug-and-play as you're going to get.

If you have any problems with it, don't hesitate for a moment to get back in touch with us for help - that's what we're here for....

Tim

Thanks, I've installed it and found that Windows Firewall was blocking it
so I unblocked it.

In windows 7, Start > Search > type Windows Firewall
and select "allow a program...".

Find FingerPrint in the list and make sure BOTH private and
public are checked(to allow).

Being in IT I know my way around a PC, but I'm a real
nOOb on this guy....:)

Thanks everyone!

Last edited:

wdonbrown

iPF Noob
Reaction score
AWESOME Fingerprint allows us to print to our Dell printer from our ipad2. the dell is wired to our network. i installed fingerprint on my PC which runs windows 7.

Must say, though, there's nothing "easy" or intuitive about these apple products

NOW if i could figure out how to print an email from ipad2 i'd be very happy

Gtatler

iPF Novice
Reaction score
wdonbrown said:
AWESOME Fingerprint allows us to print to our Dell printer from our ipad2. the dell is wired to our network. i installed fingerprint on my PC which runs windows 7.

Must say, though, there's nothing "easy" or intuitive about these apple products

NOW if i could figure out how to print an email from ipad2 i'd be very happy

Surely if Fingerprint is running on your PC (it acts like a print server) you should be able to print email from your iPad2 by pressing the curvy arrow at the top of the screen when viewing an email, then selecting Print from the drop down menu. Next select your printer (if you have more than one)band away you go.

zbest

iPF Noob
Reaction score
But using Airprint, you should be able to print directly from the IPad through the router to the printer w/o the intermediary PC based print server. There in lies the challenge. Is there something in the router firmware that is required to allow this? I'm thinking it need to support Bonjour technology but I can't find a list of compatible routers. can anyone help?

Pkerr100

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi - i am a newbie also. I got a product called FINGERPRINT works like a charm. enjoy your iPad. I love mine.
Another noob here with a brand new iPad 2 and needing to print. FINGERPRINT works great! No need to buy an AirPrint printer now. I'll be sending them my $10 bucks! Well worth every penny.

Husq250

iPF Novice
Reaction score
zbest said:
But using Airprint, you should be able to print directly from the IPad through the router to the printer w/o the intermediary PC based print server. There in lies the challenge. Is there something in the router firmware that is required to allow this? I'm thinking it need to support Bonjour technology but I can't find a list of compatible routers. can anyone help?

Printer Pro supports Bonjour technology and prints through my router- no air print.

Gtatler

iPF Novice
Reaction score
tlfmd said:
so no "print" icon on iPad pages/screens?
How to test?

Tap the curly right pointing arrow at the top of the screen.

Husq250

iPF Novice
Reaction score
You have to "open in" to the print app, find your printer and print. Printer pro no longer has issues with blue tooth turned on and works perfect with the newest upgrade.

Most reactions

Latest posts