1. Due to the recent site upgrade, the iPadForums (iPF) App will no longer work. The new iPadForums.net website has been designed from the ground up to work perfectly from any mobile, tablet, or desktop computer using the built in internet browser. Create a shortcut to iPadForums.net on your home screen by following these steps: Create an icon for iPadForums.net

Printing to a wired printer

Discussion in 'iPad 3 Forum' started by tate16t, Apr 15, 2012.

1. tate16t

tate16t iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Hey everyone,

I'm new to the forum and iPad3 as of yesterday. Love the device so far. This is my first apple device!

How do I print from my iPad3 to an HP printer which is connected (wired) to my home wireless network?

Thanks in advance.
  2. Patrizia_NC

Patrizia_NC iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +9 / 0
    HP printers are compatible with iPad but only the wireless version.
  3. thespinner

thespinner iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4 / 0
    Not strictly true. Such a printer may not be compatible with Airprint, but printing can be achieved with one of the many print apps on the app store, such as Print n Share.

These apps require a client piece of software to be installed on your Mac/PC and for that to be swtiched on when you want to print.
  4. Patrizia_NC

Patrizia_NC iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +9 / 0
    Sorry i stand corrected... I wasn't thinking of AirPrint I was thinking about the HP printer line that is iPad compatible. I knew it was only the wireless line that worked directly.
  5. tate16t

tate16t iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Thanks all. I will give Print n Share a try.
  6. twerppoet

twerppoet iPad Legend

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,912 / 1
    Some printers are directly compatible with AirPrint on the iPad. If you want this feature be absolutely certain the printer supports AirPrint before buying. Some printers may require a firmware update to work. These are usually available on the manufacturers site. If you get this kind of printer you can print directly from within apps that support the feature, which is many.

iOS: AirPrint 101

Of course some of us already have printers and do not want to buy a new one. There are several ways to do this.

One is to use a printing app on the iPad.

Most (or all) other print apps can only print pictures and/or files that have been copied to that app via Open In or other method. Print n Share used to be able to print from AirPrint enabled apps if it was loaded the background. It lost this ability with iOS 5. It may still work with iOS 4 if you get it before the app is updated in the App Store. Several printer manufacturers have their own apps for their printers. In general those apps will probably have the best results, quality wise.

The second method is to load a program on the computer that will emulate an AirPrint compatible printer. Your computer must be on and have the printer available to it. The cheapest (free) is Airprint Activator. More features can be had with FingerPrint (mac and windows) and Printopia (mac only).

There is a third way. A few printers (mostly HP's again) can be set up with their own email address. PDF attachments can be sent via this address to be printed. The last review I saw (several months ago) said it could be quite slow (big files not recommended), and sometimes the emails got lost and never printed. The advantage was that you could literally send/print from anywhere you have an internet connection.

There is a new wrinkle for small business owners and those with more than one printer who would like all their printers to work, but don't want to leave a computer on all the time. The Lantronix XPrintServer is a small box that connects to your network and is supposed to detect and make all your wireless printers available to iOS as AirPrint printers. I haven't seen a full review on it yet, so do your research.

Yet another new wrinkle for owners of NetGear routers. Some models support NetGear Genie, which will add AirPrint support for all wireless printers on your network.
  7. tate16t

tate16t iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Thanks, this is very helpful. Hopefully the Netgear router option works for me.
  8. twerppoet

twerppoet iPad Legend

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,912 / 1
    No problem. There is a Supported Routers link on the page so that you can see if it is compatible with your router.

However; the NetGear Genie only appears to work with wireless printers. I think you said you had a wired one. You may need a different solution, or a new printer.
    Last edited: Apr 15, 2012
  9. tate16t

tate16t iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    It worked! Turns out my printer is wireless :)

Network Genie did the job!

Thanks!!
  10. twerppoet

twerppoet iPad Legend

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,912 / 1
    Nice! Glad to hear it.
  11. Patrizia_NC

Patrizia_NC iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +9 / 0
  12. WindOS VII

WindOS VII iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Printer Pro, I use it to connect to my wired printer at work.
  13. mtnguy321

mtnguy321 iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Yes, Printer Pro is excellent!
  14. af847

af847 iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2 / 0
    I've been using Fingerprint on my PC from another Post where Twerppoet recommended it before. Works great with my Ipad. Worth the money. Just have to have the Computer on to use it, like he said. My printer is not a wireless printer.
  15. lrsweet

lrsweet iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I have Netgear Genie installed on my Mac and can print to my networked printer but only photos. No other printing from pages or email work. Any ideas?

Thanks
  16. Kik

Kik iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Hi people
  17. pcastricum

pcastricum iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I ran into this problem after I purchased my iPad1 in December 2010 when I found out that I needed a WiFi capable printer (I have a Lexmark C500 laser which is USB) .

I found an application called Fingerprint which is made by a company called Collobos Software (www.collobos.com) and it works great. You download the application and install it on your computer and follow configuration instructions. Once installed and configured, your iPad will recognize it and you'll be able to print. Just remember, both your computer and printer must be running in order to be able to print.
  18. baxlobs

baxlobs iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I hoped that this thread might have been the answer to our problem, but so far no luck.

My wife has just bought an iPad 3, my PC is Windows XP updated to SP3, and I have loaded Fingerprint. My PC and printer are both on and Fingerprint is running. However when we try to print the iPad cannot find any printers.

My 1st guess is that the PC has to be connected Wirelessly to the router rather than by Ethernet cable which mine is. Is this the cause of my problem?

2nd guess is that there is something more complicated to do with Workgroups that needs to be set up correctly.
  19. twerppoet

twerppoet iPad Legend

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,912 / 1
    That is probably it. AirPrint is a wireless protocol. In ordered to emulate it the computer needs to be wireless. It won't be able to do it second hand through a router.

If your router is a Netgear router: Some NetGear router models support NetGear Genie, which will add AirPrint support for printers on your network. If the printer is not wireless, it must be shared on the network, and the computer it is connected to must be on.

The difference here is that the Netgear router becomes the AirPrint server, not the computer.
  20. baxlobs

baxlobs iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    twerppoet,

Many thanks, I will have to look into changing to a wireless connection. The router is a BT HomeHub, so can't do the Netgear trick.