What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Printing from my Ipad 2 directly to my Lexmark S405

Gill57

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi
I have been scouring the Internet forums for over three weeks with no luck.

Is there anyone out there that can get me up and running please? I have tried all sorts of different apps and still I am not being able to print straight from my Ipad 2. I can do it via my Laptop but this is not always on, hence the reason for my question. I honestly cannot see the point of having to have your laptop on just so that you can print something on your Ipad? Any help would be truly appreciated.
Thank you in advance.

A

drb_52

iPF Novice
Reaction score
There are a few ways to print from the iPad. The one you will use depends on your printer setup.
If you have an airprint compatible wireless printer, you can print directly from the ipad without using a printer app. Unfortunately, your Lexmark S405 is not airprint compatible.
If you have a wireless printer connected to your network, you need an app on the ipad that will work with your printer. Most printer manufacturers have an app and there are many third party apps in the apple app store.
If you have a printer connected to your computer, you need to have the computer turned on and an app on the ipad and possibly* the compatible app on the computer.
It's also possible to have a printer connected to a print server or router with a built-in print server. I have no experience with this setup so I can't provide any help.

For instance, I have an airprint hp printer that I can print to directly from many apps, such as pages, photo, my email, etc.
I also have a samsung wireless laser printer that is not airprint. When I print to it, I need to use the samsung printer app or the third party app I have, called printer pro.
When I had a printer connected to my pc, I used the printer pro app on the iPad and on the pc.

*There may be some iPad apps that do not require a compatible app on the pc, but I have no experience with any. To get the iPad app, you need to go to the apple app store. To get the pc version, you need to go to the app maker's web page.

Last edited:
OP
G

Gill57

iPF Noob
Reaction score
drb_52 said:
There are a few ways to print from the iPad. The one you will use depends on your printer setup.
If you have an airprint compatible wireless printer, you can print directly from the ipad without using a printer app. Unfortunately, your Lexmark S405 is not airprint compatible.
If you have a wireless printer connected to your network, you need an app on the ipad that will work with your printer. Most printer manufacturers have an app and there are many third party apps in the apple app store.
If you have a printer connected to your computer, you need to have the computer turned on and an app on the ipad and possibly* the compatible app on the computer.
It's also possible to have a printer connected to a print server or router with a built-in print server. I have no experience with this setup so I can't provide any help.

For instance, I have an airprint hp printer that I can print to directly from many apps, such as pages, photo, my email, etc.
I also have a samsung wireless laser printer that is not airprint. When I print to it, I need to use the samsung printer app or the third party app I have, called printer pro.
When I had a printer connected to my pc, I used the printer pro app on the iPad and on the pc.

*There may be some iPad apps that do not require a compatible app on the pc, but I have no experience with any. To get the iPad app, you need to go to the apple app store. To get the pc version, you need to go to the app maker's web page.

Hi,
Thank you for the reply. I am aware of the route through my Laptop, it was a direct print from my Ipad that I was what after. Not to worry, I will have to stick to using the 3rd party Lexmark driver, you never know someone out there will come up with an app that is suitable. I honestly can't see the point in having to have my Laptop on just so that I can print from my Ipad. The main reason for wanting the Ipad was so that I didn't have to have my Laptop on all the time. After all the Ipad is so much quicker to open and close ,and more suitable to my lifestyle at the moment.

Thank you again.

Most reactions

Latest posts