What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Printing from iPad 2

premo

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I still have not received my new iPad, so am learning from what I can read. I haven't seen much on how to print from an iPad. I have a Brother network printer and would like to be able to print to it. Any feedback on how I can do that?

Thanks!

Gabriel1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
premo said:
I still have not received my new iPad, so am learning from what I can read. I haven't seen much on how to print from an iPad. I have a Brother network printer and would like to be able to print to it. Any feedback on how I can do that?

Thanks!

I am no expert on this but I think that if your printer isn't wifi then you can't print direct but you can use dropbox app so that you can use your computer to print whatever you need from your iPad. It will be easier to explain once you have your iPad in front of you although there are a number of threads on here which cover the subject.

The Archangel

Gabriel1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
premo said:
Well, it is wireless, so I suppose that is a good start :)

I wish I could help further but that's the end of my knowledge on this subject, d'oh......there are a number of print apps on the app store, I would have a look through them, alternatively google iPad+"your printer model" which may come up with some wireless magic advise.

Good luck.

The Archangel

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Print n Share is currently the most popular app for printing. It works by inserting itself into the iPad's native AirPrint capability. I will support most wireless printers. For the rest, and printers that are not wireless it can go through a computer on the same network to print, when you install a client program on that computer.

It is not a perfect solution, but it's pretty good (so I hear). The app has to be working in the background before you can print. The only better solution is to buy one of the few HP AirPrint compatible printers.

iOS: AirPrint 101

qnet

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.network-creations.net
Print n Share is currently the most popular app for printing. It works by inserting itself into the iPad's native AirPrint capability. I will support most wireless printers. For the rest, and printers that are not wireless it can go through a computer on the same network to print, when you install a client program on that computer.

It is not a perfect solution, but it's pretty good (so I hear). The app has to be working in the background before you can print. The only better solution is to buy one of the few HP AirPrint compatible printers.

iOS: AirPrint 101

Awesome answer! I was just poking around and saw were prin -n- share was integrated with Airprint in Pages. I thought that was cool.

JimAdams

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I've been using print-n-share for about a week and so far I love it. It recognizes all of the printers I have on my home network without any problems and prints to them perfectly from within an app and even when I want to print a web page. And for small additional fee ($0.99) you can print anything to a PDF. I give 4.5 stars out of 5!

Sent from my iPad using iPF

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Awesome answer! I was just poking around and saw were prin -n- share was integrated with Airprint in Pages. I thought that was cool.

It's pretty much the same answer you'll get from most forum members, at least if they've been here for a while. I just happened by first. I don't even use the app, though I'd pick it up quickly enough it I decided I needed to print from my iPad.

ZibaWal

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I was able to print with AirPrint both my iPad and iPhone with brother printer but now it stopped working:( any idea how can I fix?

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I was able to print with AirPrint both my iPad and iPhone with brother printer but now it stopped working:( any idea how can I fix?

There are two possibilities that come to mind...

(1) Open the iPad's multi-task bar by double-tapping the Home key and check to see that the Print N Share app is still there. If it is, open it up. Now go back and try to print again. Print N Share needs to be running on the iPad. If it's not in the list of running tasks, then you need to start it up.

(2) One problem I have had is that my ADSL router sometimes changes the IP address of my printer and that 'confuses' Print N Share. If possible, set up a static IP address for your printer - usually this can be done on the Admin page of your router.

Let us know if these suggestions don't work or if you need more help.

Tim
Scotland

ZibaWal

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Tim SPRACKLEN said:

(1) Open the iPad's multi-task bar by double-tapping the Home key and check to see that the Print N Share app is still there. If it is, open it up. Now go back and try to print again. Print N Share needs to be running on the iPad. If it's not in the list of running tasks, then you need to start it up.

(2) One problem I have had is that my ADSL router sometimes changes the IP address of my printer and that 'confuses' Print N Share. If possible, set up a static IP address for your printer - usually this can be done on the Admin page of your router.

Tim
Scotland
Tim, I was able to use AirPrint straight with printopia installed on my pc, directly from
My iPhone 4 and iPad by clicking reply option and choose print and was able to see my brother printer.

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Tim SPRACKLEN said:

Tim
Scotland
Tim, I was able to use AirPrint straight with printopia installed on my pc, directly from
My iPhone 4 and iPad by clicking reply option and choose print and was able to see my brother printer.

OK - but check to see if the IP address of the printer has changed. If you've an ADSL or other router there, it may have re-assigned the IP address of either the printer or your PC. I have the same problem on my PC setup - I print directly using AirPrint from the iPad and have an app set up on my PC that relays the printing to my printer. But if the router changes the IP address of my PC, the iPad gets confused.

Tim
Scotland

ZibaWal

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Tim SPRACKLEN said:
OK - but check to see if the IP address of the printer has changed. If you've an ADSL or other router there, it may have re-assigned the IP address of either the printer or your PC. I have the same problem on my PC setup - I print directly using AirPrint from the iPad and have an app set up on my PC that relays the printing to my printer. But if the router changes the IP address of my PC, the iPad gets confused.

Tim
Scotland

Thanks Tim :) I patiently spent a couple more hours following step by step air print activator and voila working again! Keep my fingers crossed

MikeVB

iPF Noob
Reaction score

From another un-initiated, thank you very much! I'm a brand new Ipad(2) owner and didn't think I could do the "wireless" printing thing on my Windows 7/non-HP-AirPrint (Brother) wired computer, but OMG Print n Share works perfectly. Thank you thank you thank you! I still say this little tablet computer thingy is probably the most amazing thing I've ever purchased.

Most reactions