What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Printing from iPad 2 - the expedient way vv an elegant way to print??

Ken Martin

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hello all,

I print from my iPad 2 easily by (as an expedient!) using a cheapie Canon MG3260 printer. It has AirPrint and default duplex printing. Replacement cartridges are not dear, too. Works well, but it is yet another printer.

So, as is my wont, I thought afterwards it may be possible to load Canon printer software on to my iPad in some manner. Has anyone used a portable DVD drive with an iPad? Is it possible?? Alternatively, sharing a DVD drive in a MacBook with an iPad? Or is there an app a la EPP but for printing on paper? I prefer to not use an old computer as a server (?) in any process.

Cheers

Ken

D

Deleted member 247820

Hello Ken.

There are plenty of real experts on this site to help you.
May I just say that it is possible to get some USB flash drives to work?
That is in a fashion.
It is possible to transfer photos to the iPad via USB flash drive, via the camera kit.
However I think you have a good arrangement with the air printer.
Why not stick with that?

OP
K

Ken Martin

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hello Ken.

There are plenty of real experts on this site to help you.
May I just say that it is possible to get some USB flash drives to work?
That is in a fashion.
It is possible to transfer photos to the iPad via USB flash drive, via the camera kit.
However I think you have a good arrangement with the air printer.
Why not stick with that?

Hmmm, good advice, Peter, thank you.

Overnight, I decided to load the MG3260's software on a MacBook, so I can monitor ink levels and generally manage the printer. It cannot be done wirelessly, but occasionally I USB-plug the MacBook into the printer for checks.

Ken

D

Deleted member 247820

Hi Ken.

I don't have an "air" printer.
So may I ask how do you like it in respect to the iPad?
I would feel a bit annoyed if I discovered that I could not "manage" the printer via the wireless connection.
After all that (wireless) is it's reason for being.
Just as an aside I use "We Print" app to connect a printer to the iPad.
It works quite well, excepting that the printer must be connected to a PC with the PC on.
I hope my next printer will be an Air printer.

Most reactions