What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Printing from an iPad Air to a Canon MG6150 printer

wellers

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi, I’m new to this and from the UK so thanks for any help! I want to print from my iPad to my Canon MG6150 printer but it looks like it isn’t supported by Air Print. Anyone know how I can get to print? I’m no techie so it will need to be in idiot terms! Thanks so much.

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Only AirPrint capable printers will work with the iPad. You'll need to find another printer. You can't connect an iPad to a printer with a cable.

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Welcome to iPad Forums!

There’s an app that works with many printers:
Printer Pro Lite by Readdle Inc.
Printer Pro Lite on the App Store
Install it on your iPad, and try printing using this app.

This is the free version. If it works with your printer, you can also get the paid version.

OP
W

wellers

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Only AirPrint capable printers will work with the iPad. You'll need to find another printer. You can't connect an iPad to a printer with a cable.
Thanks for responding. I had a horrible feeling that would be the case! :(

NSquirrel

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Are you just trying to print via wireless or is the printer connected to anything else, e. g. a PC?

OP
W

wellers

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I want to print wirelessly from my iPad. The Canon printer is wirelessly connected to my iMac.

NSquirrel

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Thanks for your reply, Wellers. Perhaps you can print indirectly via the iMac in the way I (used) to print via a PC using bonjour service.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
You can’t just enable print sharing on the iMac and have it work; however you can install an app like Printopia. Printopia and other apps like it (if any are left) will let you turn any printer connected to the iMac into an AirPrint printer. You can also set up virtual printers that will save PDFs to folders or open them in apps on the iMac.

The only downside is that your Mac must be on and a user logged in for the printer to work.

Here is a link to a ‘very’ old post I made on the subject. The apps and devices may have changed, but the options remain the same.

iPad Printing Solutions, and Stuff

I haven’t keept it updated because I both got an AirPrint capable printer (B&W Laser), and mostly stopped using my iMac. If I have fancier printing needs than AirPrint or Printer Pro can handle, I save my files as a PDF and take it to Staples. This happens rarely enough that it is cheaper than bying a more capable printer setup.

OP
W

wellers

iPF Noob
Reaction score
You can’t just enable print sharing on the iMac and have it work; however you can install an app like Printopia. Printopia and other apps like it (if any are left) will let you turn any printer connected to the iMac into an AirPrint printer. You can also set up virtual printers that will save PDFs to folders or open them in apps on the iMac.

The only downside is that your Mac must be on and a user logged in for the printer to work.

Here is a link to a ‘very’ old post I made on the subject. The apps and devices may have changed, but the options remain the same.

iPad Printing Solutions, and Stuff

I haven’t keept it updated because I both got an AirPrint capable printer (B&W Laser), and mostly stopped using my iMac. If I have fancier printing needs than AirPrint or Printer Pro can handle, I save my files as a PDF and take it to Staples. This happens rarely enough that it is cheaper than bying a more capable printer setup.
Thanks for the tip. I think I will get the Canon portable printer which is an air printer. My friend has one for sale so I’ll try that way. It will help when I am away on business!
Thanks for everyone’s help. I am well impressed with the Forum!

Most reactions

Latest posts