Printers

Discussion in 'iPad Accessories for iPAD 1, 2 and 3' started by Pauley, Oct 17, 2011.

1. Pauley

Pauley iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    I am using an iPad only.... No computer. I would like to be able to print directly from my iPad to a printer. It is only for occasional use, so I am not looking for anything expensive. Anyone have any recommendations? I seen a couple at Walmart, but am not sure if it is compatible with the iPad.
    I do not print pictures, as it is actually cheaper to send them to CVS and have them print them. The cost of ink is a killer!

Thanks for any help...
  2. Tim SPRACKLEN

Tim SPRACKLEN iPad Legend

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +121 / 0
    Apple have their own proprietary printing protocol called 'AirPrint'. Only a few printers support it at present - HP is one of those that do and you can see if your model is on the list at the Apple web site

Apple - iPad 2 - Print right from your iPad with AirPrint.

If it is there, then you can print directly under iOS 4.2 and 4.3 and iOS5 from apps that support in-app printing, such as Apple's iPad iWorks suite ('Pages', 'Numbers' and 'Keynote'). Not all apps support in-app printing, so you need to check out whether the app you're interested in does. For example, Apple's native iPad 'Calendar' app does not support in-app printing.

If your printer is not on the list then there are third-party apps that can help. Some printer manufacturers have released apps for PCs with their printers connected (i.e. Lexmark). On these models, an app on your PC or Mac 'pretends' to be an AirPrint printer and the app translates the AirPrint printing protocol into a form that the printer understands.

However, there are standalone apps for the iPad and 'Print N Share' is one of the best known. It can print directly from the iPad to a WiFi printer without any PC being involved. It does this by 'pretending' to be an AirPrint printer. It then, similar to the previous case, translates the AirPrint printing protocol to a form that your printer understands.

Most all WiFi equipped printers are supported by 'Print N Share' but even those few that are not are able to print via a PC using, again, a small (free) app that's available from the developers of 'Print N Share'. Once again, this app sits on your PC or Mac and links your iPad to the printer via your PC - meaning, too, that the printer can be WiFi, USB or even Bluetooth. The downside is that the PC has to be switched on.

One 'issue' that sometimes confounds users of 'Print N Share' is that this only works under iOS 4.2 or 4.3 - the iPad's 'multi-tasking' operating system (OS). 'Print N Share' needs to be loaded and running before you can print!! So, if you're going to be doing some printing, you need to first of all fire up 'Print N Share' and leave it running in the background. You can check whether it is running by double tapping the iPad's 'Home' button, to see the tasks that are 'loaded' in the 'Multi-task' menu bar. For various reasons, it's helpful if 'Print N Share' was loaded quite recently. If you haven't printed for a while, use the multi-task bar to 're-activate' it.

If you're happy to leave your PC switched on then another - and probably better - way forward is to use a PC program called FingerPrint. This is a program that runs on your PC and makes it 'look' like an AirPrint printer. It's as close as you'll get to plug-and-play printing for non-AirPrint printers. You simply download the program (there's a free 7-day version available so you can try it at no risk), install it, start the program (it automatically inserts itself into the PC's startup menu) choose the printers you want to offer to the iPad - it shows you the usual list that you get from a regular Windows print dialog box - and that's it. When you want to print on your iPad (there's no separate app for the iPad) you simply choose the print menu in apps that support in-app printing and FingerPrint makes your PC look like an AirPrint printer. You'll be offered, in the iPad, the choice of printers that you selected on the PC and off you go. FingerPrint receives the printing data from the iPad over WiFi and translates it into a form that your printer understands. I have it on my PC and it works just great.

Hope this helps, but don't hesitate to post any more detailed questions that you might have.

Tim
    Scotland
  3. cds1937

cds1937 iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I am using a HP Envy 100 and it works great.:eek:
  4. s2mikey

s2mikey iPad Addict

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +131 / 0
    I have a Cannon wireless printer and Im going to try it soon. I wonder if it will work OK? Hmmm... ????
  5. Tim SPRACKLEN

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +121 / 0
    It won't work directly because it's not on Apple's list - but it will work OK with FingerPrint or PrintCentral...

Tim
  6. s2mikey

s2mikey iPad Addict

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +131 / 0
    Yep - thanks , Tim.
  7. markbnh1

markbnh1 iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +7 / 0
    Can someone tell me what to search for in the app store to find "fingerprint"? I can't seem to find it. (the print program, not a security app). Thanks.

Sent from my iPad2 using iPF
  8. markbnh1

markbnh1 iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +7 / 0
    The new Adobe reader app is awesome! I had no problem at all using it with Print'n Share to print a PDF document on my non AirPrint printer. I may not need an air printer after all.

9. MikeV99

MikeV99 iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0
    Does it work with IOS 5?

Sent from my iPad using iPF
  10. markbnh1

markbnh1 iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +7 / 0
    Yes, and it's free also!

11. Tim SPRACKLEN

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +121 / 0
    It's not an app from the App Store - it's a program that sits on your PC. It makes the PC look like an AirPrint printer, so no iPad app is needed. If you Google Airprint iPad you'll find links. You can download a free limited time (7 days, I think) version, so you can try it for free.

Tim
  12. MikeV99

MikeV99 iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0
    According to the Adobe Reader instructions one should be able to click on the square box and Open in ...

Ditto in Safari.

I do not have that option. Am I missing something?

Mike

Last edited: Oct 19, 2011
  13. MikeV99

MikeV99 iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0
    Delete post not working?
    Last edited: Oct 19, 2011
  14. smarterphone

smarterphone iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Can ipad print things via icloud from any printer? How does that work?
  15. PTLinsongz

PTLinsongz iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Question:

When stating that printing is directly from Ipad to printer over Wifi, does this mean without a router and network involved?
  16. MikeV99

MikeV99 iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0
    Yes if your printer is WiFi capable. You can also use WePrint as a print sever on a desktop.

Mike

17. takeshi

takeshi iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    You mean in ad-hoc mode instead of infrastructure? Not if this is accurate (emphasis added):
    Apple - iPad 2 - Print right from your iPad with AirPrint.

Technically you don't need a router but you do need an access point.