What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Printer

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Hi Marcia - welcome to the forum! :) You need to better explain what your goals may be w/ the printer? I'm assuming that you want to print from the iPad via Wi-Fi? If so, please tell us what model iPad you own, what program(s) you are using to print, and what is the brand/model of your printer - all of this will help us provide some advice - thanks. Dave

OP
M

Marcia Cook

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi, Yes, I want to print to a Wi-Fi printer, Brother MFC-J835DW. My iPad is the new iPad 4, Wi-Fi. I tell it to print, but it is asking for a printer. I don't know how or where to enter the Brother printer. Thanks

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Hi, Yes, I want to print to a Wi-Fi printer, Brother MFC-J835DW. My iPad is the new iPad 4, Wi-Fi. I tell it to print, but it is asking for a printer. I don't know how or where to enter the Brother printer. Thanks

You don't have to enter the printer manually.

Your printer has to be connected to the same Wi-Fi network as your iPad. Make sure Airprint is enabled in your printer settings.
Here's a link that could help also: http://www.apple.com/support/ipad/assistant/airprint/#section_4

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score

Hi again Marcia - your printer indeed is AirPrint compatible (AirPrint Basics) and Johanna has given you the link needed - bought a new Canon myself a few months ago, just took minutes to setup the printer - when both the printer & iPad are on the same Wi-Fi network, apps that have that feature will simply recognize the printer and give you the option to print. Good luck and let us know if you are still have a problem - Dave :)

OP
M

Marcia Cook

iPF Noob
Reaction score
My printer is supposed to support AirPrint. When I called Brother, they said it was going to cost me $190 to check to see if I have the latest version of firmware. is there another way? Marcia

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
There was a firmware update in July. You will have to update your printer through your computer. Just search for your printer, + "firmware update" in your browser, it will lead you to the right place.

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
My printer is supposed to support AirPrint. When I called Brother, they said it was going to cost me $190 to check to see if I have the latest version of firmware. is there another way? Marcia

Hi again Marcia - the 'cojones' of Brother to ask that amount for such a simple & quick task - I just checked Amazon and your printer is listed there 'new' for $145!

As Johanna has said, you just need to find the information (CHECK HERE) and do the firmware upgrade - if you're printer is already connected via Wi-Fi, then the option may be offered in the printer's software (mine was for my new Canon printer). Good luck and post back your results or issues if still having a problem - Dave :)

OP
M

Marcia Cook

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Success!! Thanks for all the suggestions!!! I Googled 'Brother firmware update for iPad'. And up came a fee Brother App!!! I downloaded that. When I print, I have to click on that icon in the selections instead of Print. Then I click print at the bottom. Voila!!! Thanks!!!

OP
M

Marcia Cook

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Success!! Thanks for all the suggestions!!! I Googled 'Brother firmware update for iPad'. And up came a fee Brother App!!! I downloaded that. When I print, I have to click on that icon in the selections instead of Print. Then I click print at the bottom. Voila!!! Thanks!!!

Free!!

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Hi Marcia - Congrats! AND, it should have been free since you already bought the printer! Let us know if all remains well - Dave :)

Most reactions

Latest posts