What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Printer connection

1jazzfan

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I am trying to print from my IPAD3 to my new (to me) printer. It is an HP Officejet 6500 Wireless. When I try to print a note I get a message saying the IPAD doesn't find a printer. Anyone have an idea?
Thanks

dhewson777

iPF Novice
Reaction score
A number of questions to start with:
1) is the printer AirPrint compatible?
2) has the printer been set-up on the same wifi network as the ipad?

a510flip

iPF Noob
Reaction score
It needs to be air print capable. If it is not you can download the HP print app. Works great with my wireless HP printer. Good luck

Daryle

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I am trying to print from my IPAD3 to my new (to me) printer. It is an HP Officejet 6500 Wireless. When I try to print a note I get a message saying the IPAD doesn't find a printer. Anyone have an idea? Thanks
If you can't find your printer in the list included in this link: http://support.apple.com/kb/ht4356, there's an app in App Store that will help you print with your iPad: HP ePrint. It's a free app.

OP

1jazzfan

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The printer has NOT been setup on the same WiFi network. I do not know how to do that and have no manuals, etc. I can tell you that some docs print well, so the IPAD is communicating to the printer sometimes. My Printer is an HP OfficeJet 6500. Appreciate your help.

DickW

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I also have an HP-9600 (pre AirPrint) and was having the same problem. I downloaded the free HP app (HP eprint) and was able to print immediately with no problem. When the App is looking for the printer, be prepared for a 3-5 minute wait--at least in my case. I was able to get it to work on 2 old I-phones, a new I-pad air, and an old I-pad 3. Keep on trying; it will work

dhewson777

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Many of the newer HP printers have what they call direct print, which means it basically puts out its own wifi network. The problem with that is, if your iPad is already connected to your home or work wifi, you have to manually disconnect from that and connect to the printer. This is why people have trouble connecting.

The best option is to connect the printer to your wireless network so that all devices can remain connected to the Internet and can print anytime the printer is turned on.

cecilrwilliams

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Does your printer have a menu window with WiFi setup? If yes, click on it, usually you have a button on your router you push, it starts flashing, looking for your printer. Go to control panel, click printers and make your printer the default. It worked on my HP printer. Best of luck.

Most reactions

Latest posts