What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Print to non wireless printer?

shaka71

iPF Noob
Reaction score
S there any way to print to a non wireless printer?

KevinJS

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
There are alternatives to AirPrint. For example HP has a feature called ePrint, which effectively gives your printer an email address. You send your files to that email address for printing. Works very well, and obviously, from anywhere you have cell service,

As far as I know, it is not possible to physically connect a printer to the iPad.

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
S there any way to print to a non wireless printer?

You might want to provide some details: 1) Brand/model of the printer; 2) Is the printer AirPrint compatible?; and 3) How & to what is the printer attached, e.g. to a computer via USB? Dave :)

OP
shaka71

shaka71

iPF Noob
Reaction score
It is a canon pixma mp250. It is currently connected to my laptop via USB. It has no wireless capabilities. Right now I am sending things from my iPad to my laptop to print. But my new iPad is way lighter than my heavy laptop and I would love to be able to completely make the switch. I'm pretty sure I need to by a printer with wifi, but there is nothing wrong with my current printer. I do a ton of printing for work. I have learned how to save PDF files to my ad so I can bring them into the field and not print, but there are several things I need to print when I'm back at my office.

LannyC

iPad Fan
Reaction score
If both laptop and iPad are on the same wifi network, there are apps that will make the printer visible to the tablet. E.g., if you have a Netgear router, Netgear Genie makes any printer emulate AirPrint.

This post handcrafted from 100 percent post-consumer recycled electrons.

OP
shaka71

shaka71

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks everyone. I thought I would have to wait until I got a new wifi printer! I look into my options.

OP
shaka71

shaka71

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Ugh! I've tried everything in the link above, but still can get my ad to see my non wireless printer to print from. I think it might be on the windoze 7 side of things. Any suggestions from the experts?

OP
shaka71

shaka71

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Ugh! I've tried everything in the link above, but still can get my ad to see my non wireless printer to print from. I think it might be on the windoze 7 side of things. Any suggestions from the experts?

Should say I can't get my iPad to see printer.

leelai

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score

I have an Air print printer and sometimes my iPad won't see it, what I do then is turn off my printer and reset my router, sometimes I need to reset my iPad also before it will work. So try rebooting your PC etc. and see how you go.

In the meantime I've moved your thread to our Help Section where more members will see your thread and may be better able to help you.

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score

Hi again Shaka.. - please explain the above, i.e. 'I've tried everything...' - what exactly have you done, e.g. did you put a program on your computer to simulate an 'AirPrint' printer (or not)?

In the spring of last year, I switched over to Apple computers and replaced my printer w/ one that is AirPrint compatible - before I was on a Windows PC and had an app called FingerPrint from Collobos Software - for 2 years, the app allowed me to print to that PC on my old Canon printer - but is no longer available (believe that they offer a paid service for the same purpose) - basically, you need to find a similar app that will do the same (now you can search or we can or hopefully a member will already have solved this issue for you - don't know).

NOW, I don't know 'how much' $$ you have to spend, but if you want an ink jet printer, then the current ones offer AirPrint compatibility @ a cheap price (they make up for the cost on the ink) - so, why not just get a new printer that will work? Let us know the options you may have? Dave :)

OP
shaka71

shaka71

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I've actually tried several different programs on my PC from the link posted earlier. I think my printer is too cheap so I'm just going to get a new one. We'll worth it since I'm on my iPad more than the old laptop now.

squib

iPad Fan
Reaction score

I have a laptop on winxp and a D-Link wifi and an HP wireless printer. It was very specific about what order I downloaded the programs and to which device. Once I did that it was VERY easy. I tried a shortcut but ended up tearing my hair out cause I couldn't remember which one I skipped. I started over, did everything in the right order and voila - works like a charm! :);) :);)

Peace begins with a smile. :)
M Teresa

Most reactions