Prevent ipad from being detected by Windows

Discussion in 'iPad General Discussions' started by Luis Urbina, Apr 14, 2013.

1. Luis Urbina

Luis Urbina iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I use my iPhone in the hospital, and when the battery is running low, I plug it into any computer USB port (all Windows) to charge it. Windows detects my iPhone and wants me to choose what to do with my iPhone pictures. I do not want to download my pictures, and I am afraid that one day I will forget to click "Cancel" and someone walking by is going to download my pictures. Is there a way of disabling something IN THE IPHONE, so that Windows cannot recognize it as a source of pictures? All I find is how to prevent iPhoto from opening up. There are hundreds of computers in the hospital, and I plug into any available port for CHARGING only, so the solution has to be configured in the iphone
    Thanks

2. scifan57

scifan57 Super Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3,385 / 2
    You could use the supplied charger and plug your iPhone into any handy wall socket. That would prevent that scenario from ever happening.

3. Luis Urbina

Luis Urbina iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Yes, only I would have to carry it with me all the time. It's inconvenient. I keep a spare cable in my labcoat pocket which is inconvenient enough. Thanks for your reply

4. KevinJS

KevinJS Super Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +865 / 0
    There is no way to achieve what you want, because Windows will always recognize the iPhone as a digital camera, even downloading drivers if necessary.

The only way I can think of preventing this is to change the name of the DCIM folder (if this is even possible). I would not do this to my phone, and would not take any responsibility for any damage done.

Unfortunately, Setting a lock code will make no difference. We have had members who have locked themselves out and wanted to retrieve pictures before restoring.

I'm afraid scifan's suggestion is the only feasible option.

5. Gabriel1

Gabriel1 Super Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +748 / 0
    This is very strange, I charge my iPad off my work laptop all the time, I think it recognised it the first time, I clicked the little x (I think) in the pop up box and it's never recognised it since.

The Archangel

6. mrcupu

mrcupu iPad Enthusiast

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5 / 0
    actually theres a way because i bought an ipad usb cable brand name is mckal little bit expensive but at the end of cable plug to the ipad theres a switch you can choose labelled standard and stealth and if you choose stealth and plug your ipad to the pc or laptop it will charge without anything pop up on windows :thumbs::thumbs::thumbs:

7. The OB

The OB Super Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,120 / 1
    I googled the McKal chargers.There a a number of them but I couldn't see that stealth feature. Can you provide a model number?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

8. randomm

randomm iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Me too googled the McKal chargers no doubt there are number of them but I did not find any of them.The reason being I am ill and as per my GP advised on I am on complete bed rest over a best quality foam mattress.This was just a sharing,anyhow I will look for these again and will updates soon.

9. Luis Urbina

Luis Urbina iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    This is interesting. Thank you guys!

10. skimonkey

skimonkey Administrator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,303 / 1
    I have the same situation when using my hospital based desk top as well. It always detects my iPhone at which time I do have to cancel out. Never had the scenario that it the popup only occurred once than stopped appearing as what Gabriel1 refers to.

Fortunately this is my office computer so no one except me has access to it! :)