What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Preparation before installing iOS5 on iPAD 1

Fxgt

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Should i upgrade my current iOS to the new iOS5 pls? Any benefits to keep the current version as once uograded cannot revert to old iOS right? Thks

Gabriel1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Fxgt said:
Should i upgrade my current iOS to the new iOS5 pls? Any benefits to keep the current version as once uograded cannot revert to old iOS right? Thks

Unless you are jail broken, which I'm assuming you are not, I see no benefit in staying on your current OS as iOS 5 offers an upgraded user experience.

deano2806

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Ok all you need to do is just plug in your iPad & sync as normal, make sure you transfer any new purchases first, then just do backup.....only then are you ready to do the OS5 update.......also to stop any confusion there is No iPhone 5 yet, but there will be a iPhone 4S with which I am happy to report I have got mine pre ordered :)

OP
pcastricum

pcastricum

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks for the information 88raymond. I'm an iPad1 user and looking forward to upgrading to iOS5 but need clarification on a specific condition. You state "iPad1 users don't have a problem in terms of trying out 5.0 and downgrading back to 4.3.3 (or 4.3.5) provided they have saved SHSH Blobs" - please let me (an other "non-techie" people) what are SHSH Blobs. I together with other members look forward to your response.

BTW - have a great (Canadian) Thanksgiving and (US) Columbus Day

Pierre

88raymond

iPF Noob
Reaction score
i'm just a messenger, lol!

i'd like to send you the link on "shsh blobs" and "tiny umbrella" - to expand your knowledge - but i don't know how to do it with just this ipf app (which i'm using with my ipad2) :)

it would be more apt if a moderator could come in and answer your query.

best regards!

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Thanks for the information 88raymond. I'm an iPad1 user and looking forward to upgrading to iOS5 but need clarification on a specific condition. You state "iPad1 users don't have a problem in terms of trying out 5.0 and downgrading back to 4.3.3 (or 4.3.5) provided they have saved SHSH Blobs" - please let me (an other "non-techie" people) what are SHSH Blobs. I together with other members look forward to your response.

BTW - have a great (Canadian) Thanksgiving and (US) Columbus Day

Pierre

Please see this most excellently written sticky for an understanding of SHSH blobs: http://www.ipadforums.net/ipad-hacking/24323-shsh-blobs-frequently-asked-questions-updated.html

There's a lot of information here on the forum - using the search button (hint hint - it' in the upper right corner of the site) helps find that info.

Marilyn

marc972

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I did a update on I tunes 10.5 but no up date ios5 ipad2 ?

thewitt

iPF Novice
Reaction score
marc972 said:
I did a update on I tunes 10.5 but no up date ios5 ipad2 ?

That's because it's not the 12th yet in California

OP
pcastricum

pcastricum

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I read an article on Zite identifying when iOS5 would be released and sue enough iOS5 became available shortly after 1:00PM EST here in Ottawa (Canada). It took three attempts to install it and according to Apple Support who advised this was due to extremely large amount of users attempting to d/l all at the same time. My fourth attempt was successfull. In all, it took just over an hour to install - have been busy reading about the 200+ new options.

Pierre:)

TaildraggerJ3

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I too have an IPad1 16BG and am looking at the IOS5 update. Does anyone know if the new OS takes up LOTS more of our memory? I've got 10GB free (I'm not a "power user" I guess) but I don't what to use up too much with the new OS.

Thanks

boriken55

iPF Noob
Reaction score
If you have a JB iPad, the best thing for you to do is (1) download the new iOS5 as a separate action. Let iTunes take care of that.

(2) Then, put your iPad into DFU mode (with the iPad connected to your computer and iTunes closed) and when it goes into DFU mode, iTunes should pop open and tell you it's noticed an iPad that's connected and needs restoring. Go ahead and accept the prompt and then iTunes should just load that iOS5.

It's the easiest way, AFAIK. Good luck.

Marilyn

Sorry for my ignorance, but what is DFU mode? I have iPad 2, 32 wifi only. Thank you.

Most reactions

Latest posts