What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Preparation before installing iOS5 on iPAD 1

pcastricum

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Assuming the new iOS5 is released on October 4th (together with the new iPhone 5), is there any tasks I should do (apart from backing up my iPad) before installing iOS5?? I ask this as I have an (original) iPad 16gig WiFi 3G and have 9gig of free space.

Pierre:)

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
If you have a JB iPad, the best thing for you to do is (1) download the new iOS5 as a separate action. Let iTunes take care of that.

(2) Then, put your iPad into DFU mode (with the iPad connected to your computer and iTunes closed) and when it goes into DFU mode, iTunes should pop open and tell you it's noticed an iPad that's connected and needs restoring. Go ahead and accept the prompt and then iTunes should just load that iOS5.

It's the easiest way, AFAIK. Good luck.

Marilyn

blucente

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Mickey330 said:
If you have a JB iPad, the best thing for you to do is (1) download the new iOS5 as a separate action. Let iTunes take care of that.

(2) Then, put your iPad into DFU mode (with the iPad connected to your computer and iTunes closed) and when it goes into DFU mode, iTunes should pop open and tell you it's noticed an iPad that's connected and needs restoring. Go ahead and accept the prompt and then iTunes should just load that iOS5.

Marilyn

Thank you thank you, I'm glad I asked!

gottifour

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Mickey330 said:

Marilyn

I will also use this method when the update is available. Thanks for the information. This being said, am I to understand it is possible to restore back to the 4.3.3 since I have saved the correct blobs? I'm sure this has been covered but I seem to come up with mixed information.

Thanks again!

blucente

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Mickey330 said:

Marilyn

Worked perfectly to 4.3.5, DFU mode first try and it was smooth as silk there after. Thank you again

88raymond

iPF Noob
Reaction score
gottifour said:
I will also use this method when the update is available. Thanks for the information. This being said, am I to understand it is possible to restore back to the 4.3.3 since I have saved the correct blobs? I'm sure this has been covered but I seem to come up with mixed information.

Thanks again!

just sharing... i'm not sure for those with ipad1 3G (but f4780y said "iPad1 users", so probably it's covered)...

Originally Posted by f4780y

iPad1 users don't have a problem in terms of trying out 5.0 and downgrading back to 4.3.3 (or 4.3.5) provided they have saved SHSH Blobs, but please ALL iPad2 3G users please take note - Once IOS5 is released you will no longer be able to use your Saved SHSH Blobs to restore back to 4.3.3 as things stand.
They will cease to operate! So, if you are jailbroken on an iPad2 3G on 4.3.3 DO NOT make the decision to try out 5.0 on the assumption you will be able to downgrade back to 4.3.3. You will not. You will be stuck on 5.0 unjailbroken until such time as a JB is released for it.
I say this only to save you heartache over the next few weeks!

88raymond - take note - You are NOT protected by your blobs!

You have been (politely) warned!

Last edited:

gottifour

iPF Noob
Reaction score
88raymond said:
just sharing... i'm not sure for those with ipad1 3G (but f4780y said "iPad1 users", so probably it's covered)...

Originally Posted by f4780y

iPad1 users don't have a problem in terms of trying out 5.0 and downgrading back to 4.3.3 (or 4.3.5) provided they have saved SHSH Blobs, but please ALL iPad2 3G users please take note - Once IOS5 is released you will no longer be able to use your Saved SHSH Blobs to restore back to 4.3.3 as things stand.
They will cease to operate! So, if you are jailbroken on an iPad2 3G on 4.3.3 DO NOT make the decision to try out 5.0 on the assumption you will be able to downgrade back to 4.3.3. You will not. You will be stuck on 5.0 unjailbroken until such time as a JB is released for it.
I say this only to save you heartache over the next few weeks!

88raymond - take note - You are NOT protected by your blobs!

You have been (politely) warned!

Thank you for the information Raymond! I should of made it clear that i am on a ipad2 16 gig wifi only. I'm really looking forward to the ios5 features but I am always afraid of losing my favorite jailbreak features. It's a tough call...... But I'm sure the ios5 features will outweigh the others!

Thanks again!

88raymond

iPF Noob
Reaction score
i can't answer you definitively with the wifi only version. i suggest you send a message to f4780y if you can go back to 4.3.3.

Poser

iPF Noob
Reaction score
This being said, am I to understand it is possible to restore back to the 4.3.3 since I have saved the correct blobs? !

if you have your 4.3.3 saved with tiny umbrella, you should be ok.....but something about iOS 5 and downgrading....i forgot exactly.

I should of made it clear that i am on a ipad2 16 gig wifi only. I'm really looking forward to the ios5 features but I am always afraid of losing my favorite jailbreak features. It's a tough call......

this is an iPad 1 thread, things did get mixed up, but once you have that 4.3.3 blobs for ipad2, you should be able to dfu it back on there, thats if you wanna downgrade.

Poser

iPF Noob
Reaction score
something that people don't think of...is if you have to re-format your pc, you will lose everything, even your saved shsh blobs...so its good to save a copy to an external too.

my Mac gets backed up often, so I'm good.

Somerled

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Website
www.deckyon.com
Assuming the new iOS5 is released on October 4th (together with the new iPhone 5), is there any tasks I should do (apart from backing up my iPad) before installing iOS5?? I ask this as I have an (original) iPad 16gig WiFi 3G and have 9gig of free space.
Pierre:)

Since the JB'ers all took over the thread...

One thing that has helped me every time with the updates have been to run a full sync (which will include the backup) before doing the install. When you plug in the iPad to do the update, cancel the update but continue the sync. Do not disconnect, however. When the sync finishes, then click on the "Check for Update". The new iOS will download and start the install skipping the full backup since iTunes already performed it during the session. You should see a quick upgrade and should never have any issues with the process. I have done this since I got my iOS 3.x iPad last September (2010)

f4780y

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Just to clear this up for everyone including Poser, all iPad1 owners and iPad2 WiFi ONLY owners will be fine to downgrade to any version of IOS IF they have saved blobs.

As things stand today and based on my knowledge of the subject, iPad2 3G owners will be stuck on IOS5 forever if they upgrade once apple close the signing window for 4.3.5. There will be no way to downgrade to 4.3.3 or any other version EVEN IF YOU HAVE SAVED BLOBS.

Hope that helps.

Last edited:

Most reactions

Latest posts